Advice on my first Hi-Fi/Seperates

Associate
I've decidided it's time to take the plunge and get my first "proper" setup. I've had a look in the stickied thread and done some reading around the web so think I've got a bit of an idea now. The plan is to do this on the cheap as this my first step into seperates and 2nd hand looks the best option. The things I've been looking at so far have been:

Speakers

MS 902'i
Tannoy F1
Tannoy F2
Wharfedale diamond 9.1
Mission M72
Cambridge audio S30

Amp

Cambridge audio A5

I'm struggling to draw up much of shortlist for amps. Whilst I am trying to do this cheaply it does seem that when buying second hand all this kit really holds its value so I don't mind perhaps spending a bit more safe in the knowledge its not depreciating much and I can always sell it on. Any advice and recomendations would be much appreciated.

Tom

Soldato
I am biased, but arcam and monitor audio B2 or BR2 sound stunning together. EVen an old arcam is better than a CA, and I wouldn't bother with MS speakers, you can have better.

Have a browse on ebay for arcam alpha 7, 8, 9, nad, monitor audio, b&w.

2nd hand is the way to go when starting out, then the upgrading will commence :p

Soldato
I can't recommend CA stuff to be honest.

I'd say that NAD products are probably the best per £. A C320 amp and (dunno the model number) matching CD player will set you back about £400. Speaker wise I'm a big fan of B&W, especially the 600 series. To be totally honest I think that'd be the best "decent" seperates system to get.

Soldato
For my first year of uni I bought a NAD C320 BEE off eBay and a pair of ex-demo Tannoy F2s for about £300 total. Have to say it made a great combination, excellent sound quality and those F2s really did manage to kick out some bass despite being bookshelves. I'd highly recommend that combination and you would not be disappointed. I didn't even use a CD player, just my laptop and iTunes and the sound quality was still stunning with a great soundstage.

The only problem I'm facing now is I've upgraded my speakers to some floorstanders and the C320 isn't powerful enough to run them to their full potential. Ensure that whichever amp you get has enough power to drive the speakers. For example, if the speakers are 80W RMS then a C320BEE is perfect as it drives at 80W/channel. If the speakers are 200W RMS then the same amp would be useless at high volumes.

Agree with dangerstat, the 600 series is incredible and definitely worth saving up for. Even the bookshelf 685 model is supposed to be unbelievably good.

Last edited:
Associate
What is your budget?

Amp power rating and speaker power is only half the story, you are completly over looking impedance and sensitivity which make more of a difference than power.

If your on a budget then the 601s are probably a better buy than the 685s. A decent pair of 601s2 will go for about 100 squid and will be hard to beat for the price.

Arcams are pretty safe sounding amps and go with most things well.

Dave

Associate
I think there a tad expensive. I would only pay 120 inc postage for the 601s2. I don't think there worth 135 (unless he chucks in some decent stands with them).

Dave

Soldato
The only problem I'm facing now is I've upgraded my speakers to some floorstanders and the C320 isn't powerful enough to run them to their full potential. Ensure that whichever amp you get has enough power to drive the speakers. For example, if the speakers are 80W RMS then a C320BEE is perfect as it drives at 80W/channel. If the speakers are 200W RMS then the same amp would be useless at high volumes.

If you like the NAD sound I'd suggest a 2nd hand C370. 150W PC.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the input, been really busy so haven't had a chance to look at the stuff thats been suggested yet and probably won't for another few days. :mad: In terms of budget I was looking to spend around £150-£200 on the amp and speakers although I will spend a bit more if its worth it.

Soldato
I have an arcam cd player (the silver one) paired with an Alpha 5 amp and rega kyte speakers. Nice.

I heard some naim stuff also, that was nice. :)

Back
Top Bottom