Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Caporegime
Yeah that's the problem with 172/182's... modding them is relatively pointless from a price/performance perspective. The self-mapping kits improve the lower-end thrust, making it a bit perkier, but other than that... if you want serious gains you have to spend thousands.

Doesn't bother me though to be honest, I find my 182 a thrilling drive just as it is once it's warmed up. :)

<3

Underboss
Yep quite a few about for that much now (3k for a 172 phase 2). Seems good value I guess.

everytime i see one at a good price they are sold

Curently on autotrader theres probabally a few for £3500

im looking for a black one myself or a blue one if it comes a long :)

i dont really want to go much more over 3000

How much do you think a low milegage 2002 model will go for? say about 50000 miles on the clock?

Soldato
I never see a lot on low miles for under 3500 for a phase 2, which is a ballache lol, I want a new car too, I wanted spend closer to 2k than 3 but might be worth saving for a bit longer if I go the 172 route :( I think I'd be happier overall with nicer more grown up looks from the phase 2 (and of course the nicer interior) than the rawness of the phase 1 for a day to day car.

Couple of nice ones in silver around 65k on the clock, belts done, FSH, couple of owners, some warranty from traders etc but not any black ones for that price.

I'm thinking silver for myself as I have an inability to wash cars haha, it'll look cleaner for longer :D

Soldato
that fastchip package looks ideal with the live data feeds and error code management but only 6bhp gain and 8lbft more torque? spose its not that bad as a complete package for 140 smackers but still. im very skeptical about the 5mpg gain, i could maybe understand if the torque was vastly improved and shifted down but with those figures there is no way he would get 5mpg gain on a NA engine like that surely?

It is a generic map so there is a bit more you can get from the engine. Fastchip do a custom remap package for a bit extra. RSTuning in leeds do a custom one with a dyno print out, as well.

Associate
OP
Just to point out the fastchip rs tuner and rs tuning are two different companies. Both of which have an excellent reputation.

For a standard car/minor mods the fastchip kit will be as good as any map especially if you send your ecu logs of for a custom map.

For a car with cams/throttle bodies etc id go to rs tuning for a custom map definitely

Soldato
Random question about security... I don't want this sound remotely dodgy, but are they easy to break into? Owning a Corsa B, the ol' bend the door back trick is very popular, but my car has deadlocks and an alarm etc.

If I get one it'd not be parked in the best of areas hence a bit of paranoia. Do they have deadlocks? Cheers :)

Soldato
Aye thats what deadlocks are and I think really they should be essential to me on a council estate haha..

So does the 172 phase 1 and 2 have them? Mind you if I remember rightly they've not got door pins anyway?

Associate
OP
Just like to express my thanks to Andy & Steve at Birchdown for the recent work they did on my 182.

I recently saw a special offer on cambelt services at Birchdown in the Traders section on Cliosport. As my car was due a cambelt change in March anyway i thought id bite the bullet and get it done sooner rather than later while there was a few ££ to be saved.

I have received nothing but excellent service at Birchdown from booking the car in right through to collecting it. I initially emailed Birchdown asking for a price as there were a couple of other bits and bobs that i wanted doing at the same time. I received a very swift reply from Andy if i remember correctly with a full price inc vat and labour which was a nice change compared to most garages who tend to try and hide the true cost in my past experience. I later phoned Andy to confirm that i wanted to go ahead and book the cambelt change etc whilst doing this Andy also offered me the use of the Kangoo courtesy van which really is a usefull service, saved me a lot of hassle arranging a lift back from Birchdown etc. Andy emailed me the following day with a confirmation of the booking and agreed price which again was just a nice little touch.

I got home from work on the day i'd arranged to drop the car of at Birchdown to be greeted by an email just checking that we were still good to go and informing me the Kangoo was ready when i was. Another nice little touch :) Dropping the car off and picking the Kangoo up again went without a hitch which is a welcome change.

Now the upsetting part, i receive a call from Steve iirc on the day of the cambelt change informing me that my car isnt holding its timing and that after investigation the dephazer puller (sp?) isnt doing its job correctly and that a new one would be required at a cost of circa £120 :( On the plus side i was told that it was more than likely having a negative effect on performance. I hadnt noticed the car stuggling of late although since having the car back i must say the low down power seems to be dramatically improved, the car doesnt seem to bog down as much of the line. Whether this is in my mind or not i dont know. But im happy.

Credit where credits due the lads did an excellent job and managed to get the part ordered and fitted on the same day. Im also pretty sure that no extra labour was charged for the fitting which again is a rare occurance.

That concludes my Birchdown experiance. Top service from the guys. Their communication is excellent, never once did i feel like i was walking into the unknown.

The car will now be going there for all work needed on it and i will be intouch in a couple of months to arrange a service on the car.

Russ

Associate
Just like to express my thanks to Andy & Steve at Birchdown for the recent work they did on my 182.

I recently saw a special offer on cambelt services at Birchdown in the Traders section on Cliosport. As my car was due a cambelt change in March anyway i thought id bite the bullet and get it done sooner rather than later while there was a few ££ to be saved.

I have received nothing but excellent service at Birchdown from booking the car in right through to collecting it. I initially emailed Birchdown asking for a price as there were a couple of other bits and bobs that i wanted doing at the same time. I received a very swift reply from Andy if i remember correctly with a full price inc vat and labour which was a nice change compared to most garages who tend to try and hide the true cost in my past experience. I later phoned Andy to confirm that i wanted to go ahead and book the cambelt change etc whilst doing this Andy also offered me the use of the Kangoo courtesy van which really is a usefull service, saved me a lot of hassle arranging a lift back from Birchdown etc. Andy emailed me the following day with a confirmation of the booking and agreed price which again was just a nice little touch.

I got home from work on the day i'd arranged to drop the car of at Birchdown to be greeted by an email just checking that we were still good to go and informing me the Kangoo was ready when i was. Another nice little touch :) Dropping the car off and picking the Kangoo up again went without a hitch which is a welcome change.

Now the upsetting part, i receive a call from Steve iirc on the day of the cambelt change informing me that my car isnt holding its timing and that after investigation the dephazer puller (sp?) isnt doing its job correctly and that a new one would be required at a cost of circa £120 :( On the plus side i was told that it was more than likely having a negative effect on performance. I hadnt noticed the car stuggling of late although since having the car back i must say the low down power seems to be dramatically improved, the car doesnt seem to bog down as much of the line. Whether this is in my mind or not i dont know. But im happy.

Credit where credits due the lads did an excellent job and managed to get the part ordered and fitted on the same day. Im also pretty sure that no extra labour was charged for the fitting which again is a rare occurance.

That concludes my Birchdown experiance. Top service from the guys. Their communication is excellent, never once did i feel like i was walking into the unknown.

The car will now be going there for all work needed on it and i will be intouch in a couple of months to arrange a service on the car.

Russ

I always use Birchdown after having a couple of bad experiences with Yozzasport and the exhaust I had from them. The guys at Birchdown are absolutely brilliant :) So far they have done a 48k service with cambelt and aux belt, fitted my replacement exhaust (now got a K-tec recessed system), Brembo HCs, Ferrodo DS2500's, braided lines and a replacement c/f front splitter (due to the MOT station smashing my old one :() My car will be going to them again for my service this year and hopefully for my coilovers (will get them done at the same time)!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
^ On the subject of Yozza ive only used them once and that was for a set of rear disks and pads. I paid upfront told they would be in next day...took 2 weeks before they were in stock.

Crap company imo.

Associate
I have a Clio Trophy and my wife has a Megane 225

Here's mine.
trophy.jpg

Box hill me tinks?

Associate
OP
Hi,

Was a little bored so decided to give the engine bay a tidy up. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but looking considerably better than it was. The strut top and battery covers could all do with a damn good polish tbh as they have a few light scratches mainly due to the age. I think the battery cover has been on about 3 clios now lol.

I think next up i will either remove/replace/polish the engine lift hook as well as get the throttle body and main engine mount polished up.

Anyone have some top tips on how to really polish the engine up? It's not got the mirror finish to it that id like it to have, its looking quite merky tbh. While im asking questions what would be the best wayto remove the paint of the inlets around the Renault sport writing etc?It was put on my the previous owner of the inlets and is a little chipped in parts now so i think its time to get rid and make it shiny instead lol.

Anyway...pic time

25012009087.jpg

25012009088.jpg

25012009089.jpg

25012009090.jpg

25012009090.jpg

25012009092.jpg

25012009093.jpg

25012009094.jpg

25012009095.jpg

Back
Top Bottom