need pc spec

Associate
ok i havent bought a new pc for quite some time now so im a little behind on whats worth buying and whats not etc so im looking for a bit of help..... Basically i have about £300 to spend and some new bits for a PC but i already have the following parts which i think will do for now? i want to be able to plug the pc into my tv via hdmi (optical in + out would be really handy aswell) and needs to be as quiet as possible for my budget. all i really use it for is watching high def movies and playing WoW occasionally, sooo what can you recommend?

Current Spec

Intel Core 2 Due E6300 @ 1.86ghz
4x DDR2 6400 1GB sticks of ram
2 x Sata2 HDDs which need to stay so no need for a replacement
1x DVD writer (dont need new one)

thanks in advance

Soldato
i guess the obvious two upgrades would be a faster processor (unless you want to overclock?) and a graphics card thats suitable for HD playback.

I'd look at the e8400 (q6600 if you want quad core) and a Ati 4850/4870 for your budget.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
dont mind overclocking the processor but this is going to mean getting a new mobo,case and psu as its all currently from a prebuilt HP machine :( shamefull i know!

Soldato
dont worry i was on the packard bell train until not too long ago! your best bet then assuming that you are only really wanting HD playback and light gaming through your pc would be to stick in a 4850. see how that handles things on it's own and if the comps still struggling then look at replacing the processor.

If i were you though i would prob just save up a couple of hundred more and build somethign from the ground up, saving what parts you can. will last you better in the long run.

Associate
OP
the prob is the case isnt a regular size so a card just wont fit unless i could get a pci-e riser but then i still dont think the card will go in :( ok well i might not bother then untill i can get a larger budget

Permabanned
here you go, add this to what you've already got and you'll be goood to go, slightly over your budget, but if its strictly less than 300 just drop the gfx card down to a 4830, Ive included a cooler so you can overclock that e6600 you've already got, I'm assuming you dont need OS
small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom