Change 4 Life, complete farce?

Permabanned
People who don't know what it is:

http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/default.aspx

Its all well and good saying we need to move more and change our diets, but were is the part that includes companies removing trans fat from foods, colourings known to cause ADHD, high levels of sugar, salt and other chemicals?

It seems the government wants us to make all the effort and let the companies carry on.

Walked into the Co-op today and they said there supporting this incentive, well what the hell are they doing? Because they still have stupidly high levels of sugar in most of there foods.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't see why pre-prepared foods need so much salt in them. Making your own meals with less than a quarter of the salt they use tastes just as good, so why can't they take it out (or even use low sodium salt).
I think it's a necessary campaign but you're right in that retailers could do more. KFC in America removed trans fat from their food, wonder if they've done the same here.

Associate
I don't really see what all the fuss is about? Companies put just as much rubbish in their food when I was a kid as they do now, and yet I managed to grow up healthy. Its not as if parents have no choice but to feed their kids pre-prepared meals, fish fingers, chicken nuggets and the like, they could always make food themselves, it doesn't cost much.

They could also tell their kids to go out and play rather than sit them in front of the telly or PC. Never did me any harm :)

Soldato
You're complaining when the goven't gives you the free choice of something? :eek:

It's better for a free and competative market this way..

Permabanned
OP
You're complaining when the goven't gives you the free choice of something? :eek:

It's better for a free and competative market this way..

I'm not complaining about the campaign, I'm complaining about the fact the government thinks we are the only ones who need to change, the industry also needs to change as well.

Its all good and well exercising and so on, but if you eat quick meals the amount of crap in them makes the exercise pointless.

Personally i make 5/7 of my meals a week, but some people either don't have the time or cant be arsed and those people wont be helped by this campaign.

Associate
Yes if companies were forced to do this we would have no choice but to buy the improved stuff. They will not because all those fats additives preserve etc all bulk the product so you need less of the expensive stuff the profits are greater

Soldato
The government is steadily introducing legislation to change the way process food is made but it can't be done over night as these are established product lines with established markets and manufacturing plants.

In the meantime stop blaming other people and the government for the lazy gits that eat kebabs and ready meals every day, they know the risks and the health impact and they are fortunate enough to live in a country where they have the freedom to eat themselves to death should they choose.

The Change 4 Life initiative is a good one and aiming sections of it at kids will hopefully soe the seeds for a better future.

Back
Top Bottom