Hiphop fans in here?

Associate
but ive recently found out about "jedi mind tricks" some of their lyrics are a bit iffy, but the beats are good and it sounds good :)
JMT and their Army of the Pharoahs collective are always worth a listen. Vinnie Paz might be raw, but he's definitely spits fire and Stoupe always comes out with bangers. Monolith and Godflesh off their last album are immense.

Right now Damu the Fudgemunk, Hueston Independent Spit District and anything involving Blu getting lots of playtime on my walkman, more musical, intelligent, thoughtful stuff. Damu's worth a lookup on YouTube too, live beatmaking on the MPC in parks and on the street, guaranteed to restore anyones faith in hip-hop.

Soldato
Sorry to do the clichéd critic thing but the chart "hip-hop" stuff is rubbish and unoriginal. Yeah I went to this club, drunk cristal mofo'd dem hoes she was fit blah blah blah shut up and crash your lamborghini already

Soldato
JMT and their Army of the Pharoahs collective are always worth a listen. Vinnie Paz might be raw, but he's definitely spits fire and Stoupe always comes out with bangers. Monolith and Godflesh off their last album are immense.

jmt and aotp are pretty much the only thing i listen to rap wise. got back into the wu recently as well. prefer psyco-social over recent work tho.

'enemy of mankind' always delivers. :)

Soldato
Been a minor Hip-Hop fan for a while now, but recently it has become a large part of my usual listening habits.

Some of my favourite Hip-Hop artists:
Wu-Tang Clan (including solo work by GZA, Raekwon and Ol' Dirty *******)
Dead Prez
Public Enemy
Saul Williams
Cypress Hill
Lupe Fiasco
N.W.A
Nas

Associate
Really getting into late 80s / 90s Hip Hop at the moment after being all into Drum & Bass the last few months, good to get a change :D

Favourites so far (still a noob hip-hop wise :p)
Cypress Hill
Wu Tang Clan
The Roots

Really liking the Roots style, anything similar that I should check out?

Last edited:
Associate
Really liking the Roots style, anything similar that I should check out?
Hueston Independent Spit District for a start, heavily namedropped by ?uestlove from The Roots. For other recent stuff I'd say Tanya Morgan, Q-Tip (Renaissance album) and Blu & Exile (Below the Heavens album) are all good.

Associate
Hueston Independent Spit District for a start, heavily namedropped by ?uestlove from The Roots. For other recent stuff I'd say Tanya Morgan, Q-Tip (Renaissance album) and Blu & Exile (Below the Heavens album) are all good.

Thanks! Just checking out HISD just now, loving it. Will have a look at those others....

Had forgotten all about this thread :)

:D

Soldato
I had such an amount of rare stuff that i flogged on ebay due to having no record player, i really regret it now, Force and KGee, 11:59, all the Gunshot 12"'s, Katch 22, Son of Noise, Hardnoise, Black Radical, Blade, Krispy 3 the F9's, and loads loads more, i just bought every UK hip hop release i could get my hands on for a good 4 or 5 years until the uk scene died around 94-95.

Its a hard thing for people to get into now as there really not a lot of it in print, and not a lot been converted to MP3. The great thing though is how fresh the stuff still sounds, listen to Gunshot and it could have been released yesterday.

Caporegime
fav people i listen too are in no order

Rakim
Krs 1
the roots
wu tang earlier stuff and solo stuff (rae, odb,gza)
old electro street sounds :cool:
q tip
biggie

88-92 best years.rap hip hop is now just a marketing exercise.soldier boy is the prime example.

Associate
AOTP are great. Ritual of Battle is a stonking album; just crack on 'Seven' to see what I mean.
Strike Back off that album is good too, nice lazy beat. Tear it Down off their Torture Papers album is one I keep going back to though, proper banger. As album releases I think they're a mixed bag, but then there's so many people getting production credits they're bound to be.

Going back to more jazzy stuff, I just can't stop listening to this recent Damu remix, such a nice tune..

http://damuthefudgemunk.bandcamp.com/track/panacea-walk-in-the-park-damu-remix

Most of the stuff he's put out in the past isn't as polished as that, but there are a couple of free instrumental albums (Spare Time and Overtime) along with a collab called Y Society that are well worth listening to for anyone into more conscious soulful hip-hop.

Associate
Going back to more jazzy stuff, I just can't stop listening to this recent Damu remix, such a nice tune..

http://damuthefudgemunk.bandcamp.com/track/panacea-walk-in-the-park-damu-remix

Most of the stuff he's put out in the past isn't as polished as that, but there are a couple of free instrumental albums (Spare Time and Overtime) along with a collab called Y Society that are well worth listening to for anyone into more conscious soulful hip-hop.

niiiiiiice :D

I was meant to be tidying up my music playlists (hip hop, drum & bass, miscellaneous) but I've ended up just getting more tunes!?!

Ah well :p

Soldato
I had such an amount of rare stuff that i flogged on ebay due to having no record player, i really regret it now, Force and KGee, 11:59, all the Gunshot 12"'s, Katch 22, Son of Noise, Hardnoise, Black Radical, Blade, Krispy 3 the F9's, and loads loads more, i just bought every UK hip hop release i could get my hands on for a good 4 or 5 years until the uk scene died around 94-95.

Its a hard thing for people to get into now as there really not a lot of it in print, and not a lot been converted to MP3. The great thing though is how fresh the stuff still sounds, listen to Gunshot and it could have been released yesterday.

Totally agree, a lot of the UK stuff was waaaaaaay ahead of it's time.

I've still got all mine, including a promo copy of Burial Proceedings :cool:

Soldato
There's still some decent stuff getting released though :)

There is, its harder to sort through because of volume. Between 88-94 i was able to buy 90% of releases, there was only ever 2-3 albums released a week, it was a relatively small community, as hip hop changed to increase a number of different styles, it diluted what people percieve as true hip hop.

Back
Top Bottom