Spec me an electric guitar

Associate
Hi guys, im looking for my first electric guitar, i am a beginner and want to spend around £150-200 have looked at the westfield E4500 which i think looks fantastic, but ive read a few dodgy reviews about them. Is there anything else decent within this price range?....I wouldnt mind going second hand if it meant me getting a better guitar for my money.
Thanks

Soldato
Why do you want Seymour Duncan pickups? If it's your first guitar I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a standard pacifica and learn to play. Once you're a bit more proficient then you can worry about pickups

Soldato
There's a few things to consider. What type of music will you be playing? If you're into metal, shredding etc then you need a guitar with a flat, fast neck like a Jackson or Ibanez. If you're like me and play mostly rock/bluesey stuff then a softer neck like those on Strats or Teles would be better. I believe it would make a difference if you got the right kit first so as to not get discouraged when you find you've got the wrong type.

Also with it being your first guitar don't spend too much on it, and don't worry about pickups. You will not notice the difference until you develop your skills. Same with amps. And don't be fobbed off by people trying to sell you "professional cables" or the "three killer guitar secrets" either.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Steve, ill hopefully be playing rock/bluesy stuff. Im a firm believer in paying a little extra for the guitar i want/will suit me. Rather than buying a cheap package for around the 100 quid mark and not being happy with it. Im sure it'll cost me more in the long run, if you know what i mean. i love the look of the 'Les Paul' style guitars. If thats of any help
Thanks

Associate
Another vote for the Yamaha pacifica from me. just make sure when you get it to maybe spend a few quid on getting it set up correctly as this can make it a lot easier to play which is vital when you are learning.

Soldato
Go for the Epiphone Les Paul Junior, unless you can get a secondhand Epi LP standard cheap. I got mine for £99 and it's great, that good that my lead guitarist wants one for his collection. And yes, Epi's are much better than Westfield. They're very good these days. The Trev Wilkinson made Vintage guitars are good too, but probably alittle out of the price range you've got there. The lemondrop model in particular looks tasty.

Last edited:
Soldato
ok, so the Epiphone is much better than westfield then?

No, Epiphone are fairly average, speaking harshly you pay good money to have a second hand claim to the Gibson name and for it to look like a Les Paul.

At £100 everything is fairly even to be honest so might as well just get the guitar with the neck and action to suit you because it's not going to sound very good. Though once in a while you do find the rare deal.

For £150 you should be able to go to shop and blag* a pacifica and a Crate FW15 with some strings, a bag, picks, cables and straps. Whilst I defiantely can recommend the Crate Amp, I can't recommend you a guitar as you may just hate the way it feels.

*You: "I went online and I found this great deal of xyz, can you match it? no? ok I guess I'll just go order it off that website..."
Shop: "Your twisting my arm and my supervisor is going to rape me (he wont) but ok."

Works everytime for any instrument or equipment. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
No, Epiphone are fairly average, speaking harshly you pay good money to have a second hand claim to the Gibson name and for it to look like a Les Paul.

Not in my experience, I own one and have played several, the only real difference has been the pickups and for a beginner that's not really an issue. In fact, the pickup on my junior is great which is amazing for something that cheap.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your advise guys. Is it worth looking on an auction site for a second hand one, or would you recommend me buying second hand from a shop? Also, where do i stand with guarantee/warranty should i be looking for some? etc etc.
Thanks

Soldato
If I'm honest I wouldn't buy a second hand one on ebay unless it was for a project or significantly cheaper than the shop. New ones are fine, but second hand ones you don't know what they're like. Pictures can be deceiving. If you can't get a good deal out of the shop have a look on ebay.

Soldato
Bought this on Friday, (Ibanez RG350DMX) IMO cant beat Ibanez for all round use

electric_guitars_ibanez_Tremolo_RG3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom