Holga's and Film

Associate
I have decided to have a dabble with a Holga.

Anyone have any recommendations on film and different types please. I am looking at the 120 stuff, not the converted 35mm. I understand the B&W, higher ISO more grain but what is a worthy purchase.

Also, what is the difference between in-date/out-of-date in terms of a Holga. Also Ilford seem to sell many different types; ideally I would apprecaite a reply from someone who has actually got/used a Holga.

Am happy to buy a few to experiment, but thought I'd try for some help here first.

Thank you :)

Soldato
Haven't used a holga, but for film I quite like Ilford XP2 Super which does come in 120 afaik. It's BW but can be processed as colour film so it makes it cheaper.

Out of date film generally looks a bit different colour wise to how it should with maybe more grain or distortion.

Maybe try give the 35mm a try in it though, you can get some cool effects. Probably my favourite photo by someone else was done that way.
eg: Think it was cross processed too.
548987114_1c483e0178.jpg

Try buying some slide film and getting it cross processed too (colour positive film). Either by paying more to a high street photo shop, or by going to tesco and getting them to process it as negative film, by not telling them it's a slide and hoping they don't notice :o

Associate
Just experiment with anything 400 ISO for normal day to day use or higher in low light. Out of date film is usually fine, espcially so with a Holga. Keep it in the Freezer and it will last an age.

I'd stick with negative film for the first several rolls as you can get away with murder with it. Transparency film needs a much more accurate exposure and with one one shutter speed and two f-stops, it'll be 'challenging' ;)

Back
Top Bottom