Electricity in this country is the 2nd most expensive in the world?

Associate
Nah we have enough plutonium to last billions of years, not much point in using renewables, plastering the entire country with wind turbines.

I agree, I think Nuclear is the way forward. The output from one Power Station would save miles upon miles of land for other uses.

Something to remember: electricity generated by wind farms are very variable (and very very low) compared to that of Nuclear.

Associate
... Our anti nuclear lobby has succesfully shielded us from secure, cheap power for all sorts of environmental and fuzzy minded reasons while 22 miles away across the channel 59 nuclear power stations are happily humming away.[/QUOTE]

The hippies moan about nuclear power over here, but if France has a major meltdown, we will probably be hit with the fallout anyway.

Arc

Arc

Associate
Becuase they listen to green parties. So we are a couple of decades to late in implementing nuclear. Which would drastically cut our need for foreign resources.

Not really, when you consider which country built the first nuclear power station to produce electricity for the civil market? Thats right, it was us.

But, as usual, through mis-management, pandering to equipment suppliers and allowing the green lobby far too much time in the courts we effectively strangled our nuclear industry and let everyone else overtake us.

Even through the implementation of the deregulated energy supply markets a few years back we shot ourselves in the foot. We blindly followed the EU directive and deregulated our supply companies, did the French follow suit, non ;).

Caporegime
I agree, I think Nuclear is the way forward. The output from one Power Station would save miles upon miles of land for other uses.

Something to remember: electricity generated by wind farms are very variable (and very very low) compared to that of Nuclear.

You would need 24,000 wind turbines to output as much power as one standard nuclear power plant! Plus loads of storage capacity because of the variability of power output.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You do know a fair bit is dummped in the sea..... (and hidden in caves)

Not too sure thats the best way to solve the problem of unusable, nuclear waste

Personally i think we should stick up a load of windfarms for now (theres plenty of empty contry side around here and on the mainland we could fill up with the things) then spend a bit of time looking into geothermal energy (woo for gcse science). But im not in power yet so ill have to lump it for now...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090127131654.htm

In a few years maybe, and isn't fusion supposedly on the way?

Back
Top Bottom