Driving in snow

Soldato
I was getting used to handbraking gently round tight mini roundabouts and corners last night/this morning. Roads are all slush now (the main ish ones, at least..) so it's a bit more sure-footed!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Wahey! Made it!

This morning I left the house at 6:40am. I hoped to get out early enough to avoid the carnage the compacted snow would bring and it was a good plan.

1st, 2nd and 3rd all produced unstoppable sideways action at low revs as expected but 4th was the winner for the gentle movement out of the first junction. Once again I thanked my lucky stars that my LSD is not a 2-way as I eeked my way down the road. It was everything I could do to stop the car drifting, massive concentration and lots and lots of steering input (in teeny tiny smooth increments) kept me from ploughing into any parked cars. Others were not so lucky.

Once out of the estate and onto the much wider main roads it was just a case of picking a drift angle and maintaining it as best I could :D Loved it!

These days its not so much driving in the snow that scares me, its the people that rocket past you not knowing what the hell they are doing that scares the crap out of me!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13409770 said:
I've found the snow! Michaelwood Services. Amazing the amount of tards still flashing past in the outside lane 100mph+ :confused:

Quite obviously the more heat you build up in your tyres the faster it melts it, therefore making high speeds in snow, safe :p

hhaha I overtook Fox on the M5 today. Sorry but there wasnt much snow, more wet road than anything and there was no need to do 60mph in the middle lane ;)

Soldato
7am - Home:
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

8:45 - Work car park:
IMG_0300.jpg

16:00 - Home:
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

RWD, 350lbft and 255/35/18 tyres :p

Soldato
I didn't have to go anywhere today so I've just been sitting here looking out the window all day and reading about how much trouble everyone else has been having for a change :p ...after my 'episode' trying to get the car off the drive last time, I decided it would be best to reverse on yesterday.

Couple of pictures of my drive and road.

snow01.jpg

snow02.jpg

Associate
I've just got home after driving back from work in the snow. Was possibly the scariest driving experience of my life. Trying to get up the hills was a nightmare, the car was constantly fighting for grip and was all over the shop, a normally 10 minute journey took me around 25. Not a nice experience, but nice to have some proper snow though. :D

Associate
Left for work this morning and the snow was nice and powdery, no problems. By lunch time, it was starting to turn to ice. When I left the police station car park, it was starting to feel worse. Still, I was in a 4wd with offroad tyres so handling was still great. Dreading it when the roads become black ice.

Back
Top Bottom