Sudden enlightenment and realisation of death...

Soldato
I'm a fairly positive person, but when the topic of death comes up I like to feel that I'm going to be able to face it and accept it when it arrives; with a smile on my face and content that what is about to happen will be an adventure.

I was just having a chat about it with a housemate, and I had a moment that I've never felt before... I realised that what I base my beliefs on (science and not an ounce of religion), will mean that I'll never realise I'm dead, I'll be as aware of being dead as I was aware of being unborn.

It sent a shiver down my spine and sunk into me on a whole new level :confused: unlike ever before.

Have you taken a second recently to think about what you believe will happen? I like to think it makes you appreciate things and try to fulfill life a little more.

Meh.

Permabanned
The worse thing about death is reaching old age and not being able to do the things you once did. its a double blow really and thats when you realise nature is vey harsh.

Man of Honour
I am completely in touch with my mortality and it doesn't scare me at all. I don't particularly want to die, more for the fact of the anguish my friends and family would face, and added to the fact that I'm allergic to pain... however death itself doesn't scare or worry me - it would be typical though that it would happen to me just when all is going well :p I worry about other things in my life, death is not a priority of my run time.

Soldato
I've thought about this before, it's very daunting.

I then move on to thinking about my beliefs and how I think religion is a load of tosh, but then think 'but how did we get here, what caused the big bang in the first place'. And 'If it was a god, what created god?'.

Then my brain just explodes and I go to sleep :(

Soldato
OP
I believe in re-incarnation and ultimately, that we become one with the universal energy.

So I don't mind.

With everything like this you can never be 100% certain, just have faith in what you believe in. Do you never wonder what if you're wrong?

I think if I prepare myself for the worst, what's the worst that can happen? Apart from hell of course :D

Man of Honour
I believe in re-incarnation and ultimately, that we become one with the universal energy.

why do you believe in reincarnation?

I appreciate the thought that we are made up of matter that has existed in many different forms in the universe and that our component parts will be reused but that's just nuts and bolts stuff. Why reincarnation and what is "the universal energy"?

Associate
I have always believed without a shadow of doubt that when I die, that I will not be aware that I am dead. I shall cease to exist and will have no knowledge of anything once my brain shuts down.
That to me is exactly what I would want, i'm not interested in an afterlife or a heaven, when I go want to go and stay gone!
Which does bring it home; you have one chance at this thing called life so dont end up regretting anything you didn't do and dont bother regretting the things that didnt work out.

Mark

Soldato
OP
I am completely in touch with my mortality and it doesn't scare me at all. I don't particularly want to die, more for the fact of the anguish my friends and family would face, and added to the fact that I'm allergic to pain... however death itself doesn't scare or worry me - it would be typical though that it would happen to me just when all is going well :p I worry about other things in my life, death is not a priority of my run time.

What do you believe or hope that happens then?

I feel the same, it's just the unknown that unnerves me, although I think it will be a mix of excitement and anxiousness.

Man of Honour
The notion of my conscious not existing is impossible for me to imagine, and yeah I do feel a bit weird when I think about it.

It doesn't scare me though.

Soldato
OP
Which does bring it home; you have one chance at this thing called life so dont end up regretting anything you didn't do and dont bother regretting the things that didnt work out.

Mark

Definetely. I think this thread has made me happier to be honest, and I'll probably come back to it fairly often.

It'll be in my head through the rest of the day, making me appreciate everything that little bit more. :)

Soldato
Interesting thread ... as a christian I don't have a fear of death as I believe I will be in heaven but still death wouldn't be nice. It's the only thing in life we are sure will happen to us I guess! Once we die our bodies will decay but the soul/the real me will live on. Just throwing in my view for some variety!

Man of Honour
purpose of life seems to be life itself, proliferating........... (i had a lot of fun in the practice stage for this and I'm now doing my bit in the actual sense)

As to what happens to conciousness when you die - it's obvious - it stops. It's like saying I wonder if I can run Office with my PC turned off. No you can't.

Back
Top Bottom