Streaming movies from PC to 360 woes..... yet again...

Soldato
I can stream movies to both 360's in my house but it's just a buggy nightmare and they just do as they please. I'm very close to selling them and buying a PS3 as I've had enough.

Media Centre works and see's all files no problem but it's useless as no matter what type of file I try to play it always says unrecognized codec. I'm not bothered about this as it's crap anyway but just proving the point that the 360 is setup and CAN actually see every single file that I'm sharing from my PC.

If I goto video files and select my PC it can see certain files I'm sharing but not all. Now it's decided it will not for the love of God see any new files I've added.
It will see and play all the video files I've already watched but nothing I've added in the past week.

It's like it won't refresh and there's no option to do this? Shouldn't it just update automatically like Media Centre is doing? I'm running Vista-64 on PC and WMP11 and it's hard wired, I'm not trying to do this wireless.

Why is everything on the 360 so much hard work?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
What os are you running on the pc? Windows 7 is giving all kinds of problems interacting with the 360.
The xbox doesn't support all the codecs in extended mode. It better just searching for shared media.

Soldato
OP
No, I don't know what it is and don't want to waste anymore time trying to learn about new software, I've spent days/weeks with this already. If I can't solve it then they're being sold. Really had enough tbh.

Vista -> 360 with a hardwire really should be very simple and straight forward?

Soldato
I don't know about Media Centre but I've created playlists in Windows Media player which are then seen on the XBOX. Don't access it via Media Centre but just go video library and your files should appear there.

What file types are you trying to play? Do sometimes get that problem but a re-start of the XBOX usually sorts things out.

Can't type for toffee
Don
To hell with media centre and media player, nuthin but hassle.

Install TVersity, Tell it which folders you want shared e.g: movies, music, tv shows (thats what Im suign at the moment).

Reboot xbox > My media

and you shoudl see TVersity:pCNAME

Click on that et voila!
Used this for SD and HD streaming, not a problem, altho the xbox doesnt seem to like Divx 1.2.1

TVersity also has a manual refresh button xD
There was a small codec DL on teh 360 a while back have you nabbed that?
Had no trouble with Avi and even had some mp4 working properly

Soldato
OP
Right this is what gets my goat about this whole 360 streaming thing. I give it up as I was frustrated and not in mood to watch a film anyway lol!

Just turned on 360 and had a quick look and it see's all the movies now. What do you do with things like this??

Might have a look at TVersity.

Associate
You need to take note the 360 wont play files over 4gb and does not like 5.1 audio unless your playing wmv files, also compliant 4.1 video files are needed, use media info to see what files you have.

Google is your friend

You can stream ANYTHING via tversity but its a resource hog but i assume you may have a pc capable of running it.

Last edited:
Soldato
never had any issue's with using Media Center on the 360 since launch with either XP MC ot Vista PC and transcode 360. I prefer this over using my PS3 and have it setup on my 360's downstairs and upstairs.

Back
Top Bottom