First Hospital Experience

Associate
Recently broke my wrist and need an operation to re-break it and pin it to allow it to heal correctly.

I saw a consultant last Saturday and he said they would get me in for surgery this week. Well I still haven't had it and I have to ring up every day at 6:45am to find out if I’m on the list. I have no idea how long i'm going to be in for, how long I need to fast (assuming it’s going to be under general anaesthetic) or whether the pins will be permanent or temporary.

Why they can't ring me when i'm on the list instead of me ringing them every morning I have no idea. I still have to speak to someone and they have to go off and check, a process which has already accounted for several minutes of their time this week. Doesn't seem to make sense.

I understand obviously they have in-patients and emergencies that take priority but the whole procedure seems so disorganised and vague. Is this common or have I just been unlucky?

Anyone happen to know the common fasting rules when you go under general anaesthetic?

Permabanned
I'm fairly sure it is 8 hours before surgery for food and 2 for water?

You'd really have to check because this may be encroaching on medical.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have questions like that, the best thing to do is ring the hospital and speak to the PALS dept (Patient Advice and Liason Service) and they will be able to answer most (if not all) of your questions.

With regards getting your op, they have a government target to meet of 18 weeks from time of diagnosis to getting you treated, so it might be a few more weeks yet. Sounds like by getting you to ring in each day they are trying to get you a 'cancellation' slot, rather than just booking you in for about 5-8 weeks away.

Man of Honour
Part of my job was to spend a day in the bookings office and its the most thankless task in the hospital with a big turnover of staff.
Basically you spend ages trying to find a slot and then ring up :
Hello Mr stubie_do we have an appointment for Feb 27th at 10am
Sorry I can't make it at that time
OK, give me a few minutes.
Hello Mr stubie_do we have an appointment for Mar 6th at 11:30am
Sorry I can't make it at that time either

and so on

Back
Top Bottom