Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OK, i signed up to Premium and got the 3 months free deal.

my line can only go up to 8mb max (using BT test socket) so i think im on the wrong tariff. If O2 decide to drop me a tariff would i lose the 3 months free??

DLM hasn't finished yet

Soldato

my line can only go up to 8mb max (using BT test socket) so i think im on the wrong tariff. If O2 decide to drop me a tariff would i lose the 3 months free??

DLM hasn't finished yet

The deal was only on the premier/pro if I recall correctly...

If anything enjoy it for 3 months then go back to the 7 quid per month tariff....

Soldato
Nope nothing, the address in my trusts forwards to my main three accounts, just tested it and it's working fine.

Edit: I've sent you a mail via trust as well now

Cheers wicksta for the reply on email gonna give staff accounts a call am praying I can get my 30% staff discount on my simplicity deal !

Soldato
my 02 pretty bad tonight, heres why

Unfortunately 2 of our core links in the North of England are currently down. This may cause slow speeds and high latency due to the congestion at peak times, however, we're working to resolve this asap.

Soldato
I havent noticed any issues in south london myself, dont have any real sluggishness either.

p2p utorrent is hitting the usual 400-800k on and off seems all good:)

the 1.3meg upload is lovely websites load snappy at least.

Happy for the main part ! Just gotta sort out why 3 months free offers gone !

Soldato
just taken a speed test, and for the first time ever my upload is faster than the download :p

Ping 284ms
Download Speed: 734 kbps (91.8 KB/sec) Upload Speed: 756 kbps (94.5 KB/sec)

edit : looks like it has been fixed
icon14.gif

Ping 22ms
Download Speed: 11602 kbps (1450.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 1074 kbps (134.3 KB/sec )

then again 3am isnt really peak time is it :o:p

Last edited:
Soldato
If i change from BT to O2, can i expect the change over to be instant, or will it take like 2 weeks or more?
I find it strange that it takes a long time if you're not moving house or something.

Cheers in advance :)

Soldato
my 02 pretty bad tonight, heres why

Unfortunately 2 of our core links in the North of England are currently down. This may cause slow speeds and high latency due to the congestion at peak times, however, we're working to resolve this asap.

Ah thats why my ping was high last night, hope they get it sorted. Lucky my Vm connection was running nice last night.

Associate
If i change from BT to O2, can i expect the change over to be instant, or will it take like 2 weeks or more?
I find it strange that it takes a long time if you're not moving house or something.

Cheers in advance :)

I believe they have to go to the exchange to move you to O2's equipment, they have to arrange this and may wait until they have a few to do.

You will keep your BT connection until the switch over which shouldn't take too long 20-30mins but if it's longer than an hour or two give them a ring.

Soldato
Mine took about 10 days if I recall correctly.

That was from the date of filling out everything online inc the MAC.

The morning of the activation date came and my AOL connection died ( Yay!!! :D ) and the ADSL light on my AOL supplied Netgear DG834 went out.

At this point I had not received any comms, text on the phone, email or otherwise, from O2 to say I should connect my O2 Wireless Box up. They say you are supposed to wait till they tell you it can be connected up.

I decided I couldn't wait and plugged the thing in.

*BAM*!!! - Instant 19Mbps downloads. :D

Associate
Sounds good Draeger, Iv been told it's gonna be activated on the 12th, so im waiting, lol, and i was told by Tiscali when i requested a MAC key that my subscription would be automatically cancelled when my new ISP is activated.

By the way, you have the same GFX card as me, lol

Associate

DLM hasn't finished yet

hey dude, we dont do DLM on LLU

Soldato
hey dude, we dont do DLM on LLU

ahh thought they did, got this the other day:

Dear lmfy2k,

Just a note to say that we've completed a health check on the actual speed of your O2 Home Broadband line. Unfortunately it's not as fast as we hoped it would be when you ordered - as your BT line can only support 5 meg.

If your estimated line speed at purchase was much higher than this, then there could be several different reasons for this lower speed:

* Your phone line may be unable to support the speed due to the distance from the phone exchange, or the quality of the wire to your house, which, unfortunately, we can't do anything about.

* Or, it could be the way O2 Home Broadband is set up in your home, which we can help you sort out easily. Give us a call and we can talk you through some simple steps to try and improve the line speed.

Remember that your O2 Home Broadband Premium package gives you McAfee Security Suite licences for three PC's and 200 web texts - which our lower packages do not.

However, if we are unable to help you get the speed that we estimated, you are free to move to our O2 Home Broadband Standard package. It's free to switch and we'll adjust your monthly bill where necessary.

To do this now Click here to visit My Broadband (you will need your user name and password handy).

We hope that you enjoy your new O2 Home Broadband service, and thanks for choosing O2.

Best regards

The O2 Home Broadband Team.

is this not dlm?

Soldato
I have had O2 broadband for a few weeks now, and it has started to disconnect randomly, starting to get annoying. It if say I click a link, it will take ages, and sometimes an error will come up, something about something refreshing unexpectedly/not fast enough (sorry I realise that is a crap explanation)

This is the stats from my router

Uptime:0 days, 1:56:43
spacer.gif
DSL
Type:G.992.5 annex A
spacer.gif

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,079 / 3,614
spacer.gif

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
spacer.gif
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 15.5
spacer.gif
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:35.5 / 60.0
spacer.gif

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.5 / 8.0
spacer.gif

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / BDCM
spacer.gif

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Link (Remote):0
spacer.gif

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):38 / 0
spacer.gif

FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 2,204,990
spacer.gif
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 4,132
spacer.gif
HEC Errors (Up/Down):138 / 2,346

I dont know much about networking, buit my Attenuation and SNR are bad yes?

This is a result from speedtest.net

My BT line is capable of 4mb according to the email O2 sent me, and Im on their middle 8mb package

Thanks

Associate
ahh thought they did, got this the other day:

is this not dlm?

nah, basically at the beginning of your contract we completely uncap your line so you will sync at the highest your line can cope with. if, after the monitoring period, you don't sync above your package cap (i.e. you took premium but only get 5Mb) we will drop you down to standard at your request, for free, and refund any money you paid extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom