T-mobile G1 – The first of the Google Android Phones. A Review

Soldato
does anyone know if upgrades are the same for country?
being mine is unlocked i'll have to update manually so if i download an update will it work for a uk model?

If you're in the UK and you have a UK phone then it will be fine. If the phone is from the US then you will have to download the US update.

Associate
If you're in the UK and you have a UK phone then it will be fine. If the phone is from the US then you will have to download the US update.

but how would i tell the difference?, my phone is on 3 so no over the air update, i'll have to download an update and install from the sdcard.

Associate
Just got one of these fellas.... first non-Sony since the old T68.

Got to say I'm really impressed with it. Synced all my GMail contacts, GCal appointments and the like and just worked. I know the battery life ain't the best (by far), but just how useful this beast is totally outweighs that for me.

Saved a stack of cash this morning in town by using the ShopSavvy app, which is just too cool for words. The missis was well impressed with that alone! In fact, she wants one as well, but since her phone's surgically attached and she's perma-on-call, I don't think it's the phone for her, although it'll do absolutely everything she wants.

Associate
Updates out soon people. RC33 (dont know what UK version number it is).

New Features:

* Support “Check For Upgrades” (New feature to check for system upgrades)
* Voice Search (New Google feature for searching)
* Ability to save pictures recieved as MMS
* Ability to report offensive comments in the Market as SPAM

Fixes:

* Comcast fails to download more than 1 email
Symptom(s): No error message but it stays on “Load More Messages” without ever pulling another email.
* “Messages” Stability Issue
Symptom(s): When trying to send a message or exit the “Messaging” application you receive a pop up message that reads “Sorry! Activity Messaging (in application Messaging) is not responding. Force Close Wait”
* WiFi forcing a logout of IM
Symptom(s): While using the IM clients on the G1 if you turn on or off WiFi the sessions are terminated and you will need to sign back in.
* No reminders for calendar items.
Symptom(s): Missing appointments due to the lack of a reminder.
* G1 hanging at the G1 Screen
Symptom(s): A small number of G1 devices hanging at the G1 screen during the initial power up.

Latitude
should be fun

just rooted mine to day do you have any problems using the u.s fw? and do you get windows live in the im app if you use the u.s fw?

also for people asking about the bigger battery i wouldnt go for it as tbh the normal battery will last you a day more with light use and stuff like 3g switched off and as you can charge it over usb then who needs another battery unless you out of any place with a usb or wall plug for 2days

Soldato
just rooted mine to day do you have any problems using the u.s fw? and do you get windows live in the im app if you use the u.s fw?

also for people asking about the bigger battery i wouldnt go for it as tbh the normal battery will last you a day more with light use and stuff like 3g switched off and as you can charge it over usb then who needs another battery unless you out of any place with a usb or wall plug for 2days

I don't use US firmware because of number formatting.

Soldato
Is anyone else having problems with signal on the G1. This week I have had almost no Signal and the phone needs restarting constantly.

No but my Dads phone won't pick up a signal once it looses it until you turn it off and on again. He's going to phone T-Mobile later this week.

Associate
Took mine to work yesterday.... showed off ShopSavvy and a few other bits, as well as having PowerManager and Opera installed. Result is that two people I work with get theirs delivered tomorrow! Even our resident Apple + iPhone fanboy zealot had to admit it's pretty cool in places (and I'll admit his RDF brick does some neat stuff too).

Battery life seems much better with PowerManager running and hopefully it'll improve a bit more when the UK equivalent of RC33 turns up.

Well chuffed with this beast....

Back
Top Bottom