Customs State? Long live the police state...

Man of Honour
Customs officers are Crown servants, as are the police, and they should not ever be directed by the Home Secretary.

It seems if Jaqui can't control the police, she is opting for the next best thing.

She is the worst Home Secretary I can remember and I would dearly love to see her turfed out at the next election.

I have to agree... shes makes the most terrible, knee jerkingly unthought out decisions with only her own agenda in mind... soon she goes the better for the whole country...

Man of Honour
I have to agree... shes makes the most terrible, knee jerkingly unthought out decisions with only her own agenda in mind... soon she goes the better for the whole country...

It took her less than 6 months to alienate the entire police force.

I was one of over 20,000 who marched on London for the shocking decision she made over backdated pay.

Man of Honour
Would you be surprised if within the next few years we officially become a police state?

I know I wouldn't.

It won't happen Steve. I am no fan of Labour by a million miles but I cannot even suggest we are a police state.

The day the Home Secretary gives me my orders on who I do or do not arrest or keep under obs is the day I change my mind.

Ultimately, I answer to the public and not the Government.

JPL

JPL

Associate
It won't happen Steve. I am no fan of Labour by a million miles but I cannot even suggest we are a police state.

The day the Home Secretary gives me my orders on who I do or do not arrest or keep under obs is the day I change my mind.

Ultimately, I answer to the public and not the Government.

Sorry?
If Boris can pick and choose who he wants to run the Met,are you honestly that naive to believe that Mad Jack hasn't already gotten your bosses to do exactly what she wants? The police are already doing far too much semi-political work as it is......

And as for answering to the public et al etc........gimme a break guvnor!
You answer to your boss and do what you're told like every good copper should,if you have a conscience and a mind then you'll see that 'Police State' scenario is with us already,if not in name,but in spirit.

V for Vendetta:cool:

Man of Honour
Sorry?
If Boris can pick and choose who he wants to run the Met,are you honestly that naive to believe that Mad Jack hasn't already gotten your bosses to do exactly what she wants? The police are already doing far too much semi-political work as it is......

And as for answering to the public et al etc........gimme a break guvnor!
You answer to your boss and do what you're told like every good copper should,if you have a conscience and a mind then you'll see that 'Police State' scenario is with us already,if not in name,but in spirit.

V for Vendetta:cool:

Well I must work in Teletubbyland then.

Associate
OP
Mind you I remember the crowds taking to the streets in 1997 singing in unison to "Things Can Only Get Better". How was anyone to know.

I can't see how it would have been better under anyone else. At least this government gave SOME benefit to the people at the bottom. The last 2 aimed for the top 10% at the expense of those who keep the country going.

They inherited a lot of rubbish. 20 years of the state pension timebomb to fund tax cuts for the rich, a university cash crisis that was sat on for decades. What was seen by many including some economists as a deliberately overheated economy. And despite the hypocrisy of this current shower of rubbish, they had a whole lot more integrity than most of Major's government and certainly a hell of a lot more than Thatcher's. Half of what we hear about now we would never have heard about under those governments as there was no right to know the information, much less efficient communication systems (hardly anyone online etc) and they no doubt got away with similar things to what Labour get pulled up for. For example the Damien Green affair wouldnt have happened had Thatcher not revoked the public interest defence to cover up the cold blooded sinking of the Belgrano.

Don't get me wrong, I abhor what is going on with this government, but surely people have memories longer than 11 years?

Either way, back to topic, we would have got all these laws under the Conservatives too because the police push for them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It certainly won't be better under any of the three established parties, we can beat them by using an old castle siege technique - burrow under the walls and start a fire!

By this I mean voting for chaos by campaigning on local issues and for minority parties, I will be in the next election, split up their little club and they will have to answer to their constituents to get anything done. Vote Green, BNP, UKIP, Monster Raving Loony, Commie or even SNP just anyone except the mainstream. Divide and live free, let them unite and we all die.

Associate
OP
And for those in the police who say it isn't turning in to a police state:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/14/pub-islington-cctv

It would be interesting to see the data on the most residents being in its favour part to see if what the police and the MP say rings true.

That's just one tiny thing, but will probably become the norm the more its used then the next overstep of the mark can begin.

Back
Top Bottom