• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do we need such powerful cards now?

Soldato
Graphics cards are the new supercomputers. I need my triple GTX 280 system to get the kinds of folding power that only 720 cores working in unison can provide. CUDA applications (or more likely the technology that follows CUDA) will make our lives MUCH better. Everything will get faster, not just games.

Man of Honour
miniyazz;13494242Correct me if I'm wrong said:
Once it goes above 512Mb it "pages" into main RAM. Which is why you get a performance hit, but it still shows up under the video memory catagories.

Caporegime
I still find the 8800GTX handles anything I can throw at it @ 1920x1200 (24inch). It helps that the old "G80" GTX had 768 ram though.
I found my current rig struggling at 1920x1200 with my g92 gts, probably lack of ram, upgraded to a gtx 280 and its a vast improvement, no game i currently play struggles, and a nice bonus is that the gtx clocks extremely well.

Man of Honour
Graphics cards are the new supercomputers. I need my triple GTX 280 system to get the kinds of folding power that only 720 cores working in unison can provide. CUDA applications (or more likely the technology that follows CUDA) will make our lives MUCH better. Everything will get faster, not just games.

Wierdo :p

Associate
I game at 1024 x 768 on a dell 20" with a 26" widescreen christaline lab quality polarised magnifying screen mounted on custom alloy hinges ...and its amazing! just totally amazing! no i don't need a big fancy gpu Ati 9800 pro still kicks it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I would quite like to see Graphics Power level for a while. It would mean that the coding of games would have to improve to obtain increased performance. The same with level of detail, the developers would have to find new ways to compress the textures, or more efficient methods etc.

Soldato
The speed limit in this country is 70mph...

Do we need such powerful cars :rolleyes:

People still buy them though.

exactly how stupid are you? if im doing 110fps on my gfx card in cod 4 i doubt the police will be knocking on my door to give me a fine and 3 points for going over 70 fps.

pure stupidity from the members of this forum these days. :rolleyes:

Associate
I remember when I went to overclockers paid over £300 for my BFG 8800GTX OC, I thought to my self at the time I must be mad

But I seems to never have a problem with any of the games I play at 1900 x 1200 and long may it continue. The only game I know that it will struggle with is Crysis...

Loving my 8800GTX

Man of Honour
I would quite like to see Graphics Power level for a while. It would mean that the coding of games would have to improve to obtain increased performance. The same with level of detail, the developers would have to find new ways to compress the textures, or more efficient methods etc.

While I understand what you're saying, in that the human race will typically attempt to find workarounds for technical limitations (the Sega Saturn would be a good example of how the quality of games improved over time), I don't really wish to see such limitations comes into play. For starters, it would only effect new games - older games which have already released would see no benefit from it. Whereas faster hardware is universally good, it will boost performance in all games.

Associate
Choice is good - especially if it means existing prices keep getting lower. If it means every four years the same price (cheap) buys me something a lot more powerful, thats great.

Soldato
To my mind, we've been getting the best of both worlds for a long time.

The initial release is always faster than the previous generation.

This is followed by a die shrink + efficiency increase, paving the way for the next generation.

A virtuous circle if there ever was one.

Soldato
I'm in the middle of putting together alittle comparrison of a 9800gt against a gtx295.. and so far my answer to this question is a definite yes.. I'll be putting the thread up next weekend.. only comparing crysis and 3d mark.

Back
Top Bottom