iMac Crashing when booting up

Associate
Last few weeks my iMac has been crashing when booting up, sometimes it crashes when osx has loaded up and the desktop appears and sometimes it crashes before. It can take 3 o 4 attempts to get it to load up without crashing.

The weird thing is, once it has loaded up without crashing it's fine, it's not crashed once when its actually on.

Any ideas? :confused:

Soldato
This should help with regards to the log files:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/3521/os-x-how-to-view-log-files/

Also, check your Startup Items (System Preferences -> User Account -> Startup Items) as some badly (and I mean badly) programmed App may be bringing OS X down.

Do you get any Kernel Panics or such messages when it is booting? Also if it is under warranty give AppleCare a call as it may be a hardware issue. OS X doesn't tend to crash without a fair bit of provocation...

Associate
OP
The only things in startup are Itunes Helper and EyeTV Helper.

No kernal panics or any error massages it just freezes when booting or as soon as it gets to the desktop.

Just tried to open console and it crashes as soon as it opens. :(

Man of Honour
It's a little too soon to do a re-install. After all, it's not an ms box ;)

Did you install the memory yourself? It may be worthwhile checking it is seated properly.

Then download and run a maintenance utility such as http://www.freemacware.com/maintenance

I had an occasional startup problem when, one time in about ten, it would take ten minutes to boot up. That maint utility fixed the problem - whatever it was.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Sometimes the hardware can just "mess up". For instance, My Mac Pro refused to boot when I inserted a second HDD. For some unknown reason it simply refused to boot from the main HDD (displaying a ?) if a secondary HDD was inserted.

I solved it by installing HDD2 in Bay 1, booting from DVD, wiping the drive, and then putting HDD1 in Bay 1 and shuffling HDD2 back to Bay 2. It was a very weird occurrence to say the least :eek:

Try checking the RAM is seated, do a PRAM reset (Google it) and reformat if it persists.

That way, you will cover the bases when you call Apple, and they'll be more eager to get it repaired.

Back
Top Bottom