Need Help Installing Linux!

Permabanned
Hi I want to build a server from an old comp of mine. I'm following an onlione tutorial that uses linux i downloaded linux then burned it to a CD but when I boot from it it says NTLDR is missing. I just burned the iso file to a CD is this why it isn't working? Did I have to make a bootable CD?

Associate
I presume you burned the iso to the cd using image burning, rather than just making a data cd with the iso file on it.

Something has definately gone wrong, ntldr is a windows file linux doesnt use so you're definately not booting to linux.

Common cause of ntldr errors is that the windows drive has been compressed and ntldr, along with other system boot files have been compressed and cant be read at boot.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hi geowal19. What distro are you using? What guide are you following?

Mirroring what BENdage said, that's an odd problem you've got. Plopping the .iso file onto a CD won't be any help. You've got to tell the burning software to use the contents of the .iso file to write a proper bootable CD.

Also, there's a popular Linux forum about halfway down the page where you can get more Linux-loving eyeballs on your questions. :p

Back
Top Bottom