First Upgrade Question

Soldato
I am out of the loop wrt all aspects of hardware etc.

I have just bought a system and still have a little money left over which I would perhaps like to spend on an upgrade. This is the current spec;

Intel E2140
ECS P4M890T-M (V2.0) motherboard with Via P4M890 Chipset
2Gb DDR2
80GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
256MB NVidia Geforce 6200 Turbocache

What should I upgrade first?

Also would this run vista/windows 7 comfortably? Or should I just stick to XP? I have stuck with XP since its release as I never really felt comfortable with Vista I guess.

Soldato
OP
I used to play CS:S a lot, but now mostly stick to the Xbox, though it would be nice to get back into it. I agree about the hard drive, it is small, is there any particular brand to go for or avoid at the moment?

Soldato
OP
As little as possible really :p I'd say at the moment about 50 quid, but I guess I'm after in what order the bottle necks will arise and which are the weaker components in the system :)

Associate
Probably do the hard drive then, as that isnt enough money to do the graphics properly. Any hard drive you buy now can always be a secondary if you get another bigger one in the future.

When will you have more money to do the graphics?

Associate
where to start...
1. Hard drive (£50)
2. Memory (£40)
3. Mother board and processor (both need to be dont at the same time youll need around £200 +)
4.Graphics card(Depends, from £50-£300)

Associate
can you say where it was bought without breaking the rules? probably not,,, its not really going to be that good for anything, if you can it may be worth returning it and starting from scratch

Soldato
where to start...
1. Hard drive (£50)
2. Memory (£40)
3. Mother board and processor (both need to be dont at the same time youll need around £200 +
4.Graphics card(Depends, from £50-£300)

1. Hard drive (£50)
2. Memory (£40)
3. Mother board and processor (both need to be dont at the same time youll need around £200 +
4.QUALITY PSU £50+
5.Graphics card(Depends, from £50-£300)

:cool:

Soldato
OP
95 quid inc p&p I didn't think it was too bad for the price, was looking for a few days and this was, besides one I missed on the MM, the best one this side of 150. It was bought from a popular auction site.

Soldato
OP
In all honesty I wouldn't want to return it, for my budget its the best, aside from one, that I've seen in two weeks! Everything else was single core/althon/celeron/p4 <3.0Ghz mostly DDR1 and no PCI-E! Any ideas how vista/W7 will run on this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom