Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Anyone know if it's still possible to get interleaving disabled?

The live support guy insists it's impossible for him to do it, but told me that Be can do it since they're "smaller and more managed".

Soldato
I've migrated away from O2 Access and gone with Fast.co.uk, who I was originally going to go with before I found out about the £70 Quidco offer with O2.

Went live yesterday on Fast's connection and browsing is noticeably faster. Not done any speedtests yet and still to try World of Warcraft to see if latency is any better.

Bear in mind if you want to migrate away from Fast.co.uk in under 12 months you have to pay for the migration code. So hopefully it doesn't deteriorate.

Associate
I've migrated away from O2 Access and gone with Fast.co.uk, who I was originally going to go with before I found out about the £70 Quidco offer with O2.

Went live yesterday on Fast's connection and browsing is noticeably faster. Not done any speedtests yet and still to try World of Warcraft to see if latency is any better.

Bear in mind if you want to migrate away from Fast.co.uk in under 12 months you have to pay for the migration code. So hopefully it doesn't deteriorate.

I don't think they're allowed to charge you for a migration code.

Soldato
Probably won't be a charge per sae for the migration code, but as far as I am aware most ISP's will charge you an "early release" fee if you want to leave within the first term of your contract. I think some are pro rata based depending on how many months you have left before the contract is up, but also some ISP's may well charge a flat rate, I am not sure.

So rather than charging directly for a MAC code, which I believe is against the law, it will be something like the above. :cool:

Associate
Whats O2's Access package like? im out in the sticks so got no LLU here, am currently with BT's Unlimited package but there throttling is taking the **** and want to nuke them from orbit.

Been on the Access package for about 6 weeks now. First month or so was great with good pings and download speeds but the ping has gone bad now. During the daytime I get 35ms pinging bbc.co.uk but during the evening this goes upto around 120ms. Spoke to o2 and they have agreed that a problem exists on the Access product and upgrades are planned and hopefuly they will arrive in March. At the moment I would say it is not a good time to move to o2 Access and it would be advisable to wait and see how things improve in the next month or so.

Soldato
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 9992 kbps 1256 kbps
Line Attenuation 39.0 db 21.3 db
Noise Margin 5.2 db 6.5 db

with my DG834GT flashed to DGTeams F/W

Had a little bit better speed of the o2 box.I will reboot in a day or so. then tweek again.

Caporegime
Yeah i read somewhere that WEP isnt very secure, any idea how i go about getting or setting a WPA2 password?

It's in the router's web interface somewhere, I can't remember where. As for generating a passphrase, use something like pwgen - you want something with a lot of digits and random.

Associate
I have substituted with my own router but If i can remember accessing the advanced wireless settings is done by: Home Network, it will now show a list of ethernet ports and the 54mbps wireless, click that. In the next page click Configure in the top right. You can use WPA2, change SSID etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Connection Speed 9992 kbps 1256 kbps
Noise Margin 5.2 db 6.5 db

with my DG834GT flashed to DGTeams F/W

Had a little bit better speed of the o2 box.I will reboot in a day or so. then tweek again.

Connection Speed 9445 kbps 1274 kbps
Noise Margin 6.8 db 6.3 db

Not tweeked, but I had better speeds on the o2 box only 10mb but still. :(.

Soldato
Connection Speed 9445 kbps 1274 kbps
Noise Margin 6.8 db 6.3 db

Not tweeked, but I had better speeds on the o2 box only 10mb but still. :(.

Have you tried following this guide; http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
Some people have gained quite a bit from disconnecting wires 1, 3, 4 and 6 from the master socket and extension sockets.

wsh

wsh

Associate
I'd like to warn anyone thinking of going with O2 who hasn't got LLU at the exchange.

At peak times I cannot download faster than 30KB/sec. I've contacted O2 and I have to pay £50 for early disconnection since they are still providing me with a service.

The whole network needs upgrading and there is no timescale for a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom