• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for a graphics card

Associate
Hi,

I've decided to rebuild my computer but won't have the cash for a while. Anyways I thought I could get a graphics card now and was just wondering if I will have compatibility issues.

Currently I have an Asus mb for socket 939 AMD CPUs. It supports dual PCI-express I believe.

I will be moving to an intel machine so will be getting a new mb. Am I right in thinking I should have no compatibility issues as far as graphics cards are concerned?

I have around £350 to spend so any recommendations would be great. Also I plan on the full upgrade in 4 months or so, maybe by then the price of this graphics card will be significantly down and maybe I should just wait. If you do think the price will come down any ideas on how much, I don't want to waste too much money because of impatience.

Thanks everyone.

Associate
If you are upgrading fully in 4 months it makes sense to buy whatever graphic cards are out then than buying one now.

Associate
if you do want to upgrade now then you shouldn't see any compatibilty issues as you have PCI-express on your motherboard. PCI-e2 is backwards compatible to PCI-e.

however, as stated above, if you are going to get a new system in 4 months then there really isn't much point in getting the GFX card now, they will only be cheaper later on.

in terms of how cheap, there isn't much room at the bottom end of the market as the cards are so cheap. the current high end cards should be getting replaced with the next gen so there should be a nice drop on the price of those.

stick that money somewhere safe until you do the whole lot i reckon....

Back
Top Bottom