Outlook and Hotmail

Associate
Trying to get hotmail (windows live) setup with outlook. Have installed outlook connector and typed in the email address, password and username but it won't send or receive - doesn't even give error messages, just nothing arrives in inbox and although it appears to send from outlook no message actually does.

Any suggestions?

Associate
When you first run Outlook after installing the connector, did you receive a dialogue box requesting your hotmail user name/password? Or did you setup via tools > Email Accounts etc?

Associate
Can you do this? Thought you had to have a paid for Hotmail account to be able to use it through Outlook?

it can be done very easily and is free! all you need to do is run the new account wizzard enter your details and it does the rest for you. with some other accounts e.g. yahoo, gmail etc you will have to give send and receive server addresses etc but you shouldn't for hotmail

Caporegime
They have changed that then. Used to be if you tried to add a Hotmail account to Outlook it said you would need to have the paid for version.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

I did use the dialogue box after installing outlook connector but although its added my hotmail account it doesnt work or give any error messages.

You dont need a paid hotmail account for it to work and it is a windows live hotmail account.

Permabanned
You can use outlook ive been using it for a long time.. Live is just the new name of hotmail accounts

Ah ok, when I setup my hotmail account a while ago I had to use different piece of software called Windows Live Mail, because it wouldn't work with the Windows Mail that comes with vista. It may well work on Outlook though.

Associate
OP
Sorted it now. Weird one though. Instead of following microsoft guide of installing outlook connector just add your hotmail account the same way as a normal account and select http and it all comes up. No special security etc and dont install outlook connector and it all works.

Soldato
Sorted it now. Weird one though. Instead of following microsoft guide of installing outlook connector just add your hotmail account the same way as a normal account and select http and it all comes up. No special security etc and dont install outlook connector and it all works.

indeed :)

Back
Top Bottom