Windows 7 beta - 9th January

Soldato
Its been faultless on my main AMD X2 machine, well I've had one BSOD but thats it. 64Bit version btw.

It hasnt been quite as stable on my Acer One Netbook though, a few weeks after install it completely died with a BSOD loop even in Safemode etc so I had to re-install (Only reason I can think of is unticking Indexed Files, which took forever to complete btw) and since then its been ok but sometimes it does BSOD for no real reason but generally works ok once rebooted. BSOD error is generally the good old IRQ less than equal one. Besides imo XP still runs faster (1GB) so I'm mostly still using XP on the One anyway.

Very interesting news about the latest RC1 release, I wonder if its just their first 'pre' RC1 or if its actually going to be 'the' RC1 release... if so I really cant see it taking much longer until final.

Man of Honour
Why not use Firefox instead?

I've now installed 7 on my sister's laptop as XP was crashing too often. Runs it superbly tbh with 1.2GB ram and a Celeron processor!

Also plays 720P videos nicely (screen res 1280x800) without stuttering.

Impressive...

Soldato
ie8 is part of the os, I do use firefox for this reason but things like steam use ie without the option of firefox or I'd like to remove ie altogether as a security precaution tbh

Its a decent beta release in general. I never used vista so I find the memory usage silly. Opening browser windows exceeds 2 gig which never happened in xp, no doubt I could turn off some ott options to stop it bloating up but I havent bothered so far

Man of Honour
It's meant to use that much memory and in actual fact it was XP using memory innefficiently.

It's a common misconception that Vista/7 hog the memory and I'm sure someone will soon be along to link you to Superfetch articles outlining what it is and how Vista memory manager uses physical ram so I'd brush up on it before they do.

Anyone that you hear saying otherwise is absolutely wrong.

1: Vista and 7 will have more running processes at bootup than XP and will run smoother than XP with multiple programs open.

2: Vista and 7 will utilise more RAM than XP and be able to instantly juggle application ram requirements thanks to superfetch with no performance hit regardless of how much memory is in use providing you have 4GB ram or more (which is not really an open debate anymore since RAM no longer costs £hundreds).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I heard of it, fancy cache and stuff. I wouldnt mind but it brings up error windows and eventually stops working due to 2 gig not being enough to open emails and browser windows.

Just never happened on xp, so I call it inefficiency. I'll just get more memory so no big deal I guess but I'd sure love a button for insta slim line mode or whatever

Man of Honour
Slim line mode?

Xp...:p

Windows 7 is Vista with the fixes in place that people over the past 2 yrs have complained about. Under the Shell it's Vista, memory management wise it's the same Vista with a few tweaks to run better on low powered machines and it even uses the same drivers as Vista (ad in some hardware, XP too!).

Soldato
lol yea, I was thinking of reinstalling xp. Theres about half a dozen things that wont work in vista/win8 for me, nothing major in theory but hassle..

I disabled superfetch, I had forgotten its name so thanks

If you have 2GB or RAM or less, you could improve overall system performance by disabling the SuperFetch service. To disable it, open up your Services applet... there are several ways to do this, but the most direct way is to type "services.msc" in a Run dialog box (Win + R).
http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1048&p=2665

Soldato
Man of Honour
Why did you disable Superfetch?

Superfetch is a key feature of Win7/Vista in increasing memory management performance...it is not a tweak to disable it...

Too many people believing whatever they read on some sites and tweaking settings that end up making things worse it seems, sad to see.

Don't bother reading any tweak articles, they're largely BS or a waste of time.
Do the sensible thing and use common sense. Add 2 more GB of ram which will cost what, £30? and you won't ever have to think about memory usage for a long time.

Last edited:
Associate
Why not use Firefox instead?

I've now installed 7 on my sister's laptop as XP was crashing too often. Runs it superbly tbh with 1.2GB ram and a Celeron processor!

Also plays 720P videos nicely (screen res 1280x800) without stuttering.

Impressive...

Actually really enjoying W7 and Firefox :)

Finding to many little issues with IE8 and IE7 never seemed to be 100% reliable on any machines I ran it on.

Associate
Why did you disable Superfetch?

Superfetch is a key feature of Win7/Vista in increasing memory management performance...it is not a tweak to disable it...

When I ran 2gb in my main gaming rig sometimes vista would not reduce its memory usage accordingly and it would simply run out of memory sometimes even crashing the game. Even though I knew the benefits Superfetch gave in windows I was forced to disable it to keep my machine from running out of memory and becoming unstable.

With 4ghz I have no issues with Superfetch enabled in both vista and w7.

Associate
Is there a browser that can emulate IE 6

IE 7 wont run on this os and not every site likes 8. opera used to emulate ie but doesnt seem to now

Did you try to permanently enable compatibility mode? I think it disables IE8 features and reverts to IE7. On sites that look weird on IE8 looks fine with this flag on.

Back
Top Bottom