Snapped wheel nut(s)!

Associate
Hello all,

Today I thought it was about time to get some new tyres on my car so I found a place that could fit some budget tyres for £40 each, "Bargain" i thought. When I got to the tyre centre it turns out that all the nuts are so tight they cant be loosend by man or machine. The one wheel was taken off but two snapped nuts in the hub as a result. The car is now in a garage and the nuts have to be drilled out. It is suspected the wrong nuts have been used or they have all some how cross threaded or been tightened far to much. I have my fingers crossed that it was only the one wheel thats buggered!

Sorry moan over! :(

Associate
OP
Hi There,

Its a 2001 206 2.0 HDi - I am devastated :( I hope it wont cost a lot. Good thing is that the two back tyres are ok so I have just asked to sort the front.

Soldato
Anyway, this overtightening can occur due to idiot mechanics using the impact guns to tighten the nuts. In future ask the mechanics to not to use impact guns and to tighten by hand.

I do this. Just be prepared for them to look at you like ****.

Most decent garages will torque them up, though.

Soldato
I have had 2 snap on my 307 in the past the locking nuts are a shocking design and are made of some kind of french cheese maybe stilton?.

The cost to remove them including replacement from my local garage was £40 if i remember correctly..

Back
Top Bottom