PS3 - putting divx movies onto the hdd

Associate
hi guys

i can burn a divx movie to a cd and play it in the ps3 but to save burning plastic how can i put these movies on a memory stick and get them to play on my ps3

i believe it needs to be in a certain file structure am i right?

also i am using my macbook pro to do all this so will the apple mac file structure be a problem?

thanks for the advice!

Soldato
Format the data stick as FAT32 and stick the video files in the root directory of the data stick (basically not inside any folders). Plug the USB stick into the PS3, it should then appear in the video tab of the XMB, point at it, press Triangle and select 'view all'.

Your video files should then be visible in the XMB, press triangle on the relevant file and select 'copy'

You can put the video files in a folder if you want, but this is not necessary, you will simply need to navigate to the correct folder when you select 'view all'.

Soldato
I'm fairly certain you can as OSX does support FAT32. All i can suggest is googling how to do it, there are plenty of 3rd party apps to do so for windows so i imagine OSX can only be the same.

Soldato
Format the data stick as FAT32 and stick the video files in the root directory of the data stick (basically not inside any folders). Plug the USB stick into the PS3, it should then appear in the video tab of the XMB, point at it, press Triangle and select 'view all'
If you make a folder called 'VIDEO' (has to be caps) on the memory stick and pop em in there then they display without the need to press triangle and view all. Not a huge time saving I know but over the course of a year it might give you enough extra time to scratch your balls or fart. ;)

Soldato
If you make a folder called 'VIDEO' (has to be caps) on the memory stick and pop em in there then they display without the need to press triangle and view all. Not a huge time saving I know but over the course of a year it might give you enough extra time to scratch your balls or fart. ;)

Problem with that is if you have too many subdirectories within the video folder (about 3 seems to be the number) it still doesn't work and you have to use the triangle method. For example my setup is Video/Series name/Season Number/ and it refuses to display the video files.

I just say press triangle cos it means you can have any file structure you like and the PS3 will display it.

V1N

V1N

Associate
hi guys

i can burn a divx movie to a cd and play it in the ps3 but to save burning plastic how can i put these movies on a memory stick and get them to play on my ps3

i believe it needs to be in a certain file structure am i right?

also i am using my macbook pro to do all this so will the apple mac file structure be a problem?

thanks for the advice!

Have you tried pressing triangle on your DivX file, and selecting "copy"?

This should just copy the DivX file to the PS3 HDD, and you can play it back from there, and delete it when done.

(obviously only for DivX files you've already burned to disk)

Otherwise, if possible, you can always stream from computer to PS3. I'm not sure what apps are out for the Mac, but I guess there are media server apps available?

Vin.

EDIT: Otherwise yes, as above, a USB flash key, or a USB hard drive, formatted to FAT32 will do the job perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom