More NI trouble? - Police officer shot dead

Caporegime
That's the one. The police were at my house back in the 80s when I was a kid and to keep me occupied, on of the police men let me play with his revolver, not loaded obviously. Anyone know what model it was? I'd love to get a pic of one.

I used to love talking to the soldiers who walked past.

I live outside Newry in what would be considered country side with the odd housing estate here and there and they would come out every now and again either on exercises or patrol.

Upon sight, I'd run out of the house and walk with them down the road and talk to them about football.

This was around the early 90's when I was 6-7.

Man of Honour
http://www3.u.tv/news/NationalNews/index.asp?id=162152&sel2=2&sel=1&local=0

It's kicking off now. More gunfire...

Later, around 12.20am this morning, there were reports that a black car had been raked with gunfire on the outskirts of Craigavon. There were unconfirmed reports that the car had earlier been rammed by a Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) patrol.

The murdered PSNI officer was part of a patrol that had been called out to the Drumbeg estate after reports of suspicious activity in the area.

There will almost certainly be rioting in Drumbeg if it hasn't started already. I wonder what the craic is with the black car that was raked with gunfire?

I really don't like where this is headed.

Associate
I don't think the RIRA will get anywhere with this, I don't think they'll enough support; even more so if they start bombing. Having said that, the state of the unemployment in the RofI isn't good (10+%?) and so recruitment would be easier (making money through dealing etc). I'm sure security forces will look to stamp this out asap so that it can't get any momentum. The peace agreement has to stand up to give Blair something to show as evidence that peace agreements can work vis-a-vis the middle east.

Soldato
They all have pistols and some of them have automatic machine guns, the MP5 and G3 if I remember correctly.
Does anyone remember the old revolvers they used to have years ago?

They do indeed iv been stopped by the armed police twice.
Once when someone was shot at out at the birches. I was on night-shift with a few people from work grabbing something to eat on a break. They had my car surrounded in secs with mp5.

Second was kinda had a little row outside my house in the country and there was two armed police cars there in mins. (think it due to a shotgun being at the house)

Which make me think they really let their guard down or they where just really worried about the woman. tipical coward attacks though

Art

Art

Associate
Which make me think they really let their guard down or they where just really worried about the woman. tipical coward attacks though

Well with the amount of times they've been trying lately it was probably going to happen sooner or later.

A friend of mine was thinking about joining the PSNI recently. She's probably glad her interview is with the Met now.

EDIT:
I wonder what the craic is with the black car that was raked with gunfire?

Ditto. It's not being picked up on very widely. Rammed by the PSNI and then shot at would suggest it might have been the culprits. Wishful thinking?

Last edited:
Permabanned
What with the recession and now this,, Ireland will be a volatile place for years to come if its not stamped out quick.

Whats employment like in Ireland, heard its one of the hardest hit countries from the "credit crunch"

Soldato
I don't know much about why this is all happening. But is it basically because the RIRA want Northern Ireland to no longer exist and for there to just be one 'Ireland'?

What is the general consensus of the Irish and Northern Irish who aren't involved? Sorry for uber noob like question but I am interested and just want a basic overview of people's views :)

Soldato
What with the recession and now this,, Ireland will be a volatile place for years to come if its not stamped out quick.

Whats employment like in Ireland, heard its one of the hardest hit countries from the "credit crunch"

It's awful

Lost my job last April when I had to take off due to my partner took ill in late pregnancy.

At the time There was at lest 4-6 jobs each week I could have applied for and had a good chance of getting...

Now?

I applied for 2 job this past two months and one of them before the interview stage the company went **** ups and had to cancel the position

Man of Honour
That's the one. The police were at my house back in the 80s when I was a kid and to keep me occupied, on of the police men let me play with his revolver, not loaded obviously. Anyone know what model it was? I'd love to get a pic of one.

I think the RUC used to have Smith & Wesson .38 or .357 revolvers if I remember correctly. I will stand corrected on that though.

Will do a bit of digging.

At the OP. Very sad and my thoughts go to the officer and the family.

The RIRA need their wings clipped and very swiftly before the ripple effect causes Loyalist paramilitaries to enter the fray again. I know very little about the politics of Northern Ireland but I imagine the last thing that most of the people there want is a return to the violence of the past.

Permabanned
And you can trust an englishmen to create the mess and then **** off afterwards.
If the Irish weren't so predisposed to drinking and fighting (and trying to tell everyone within earshot that the Irish invented everything from semaphore to long division) then the entire conflagration would have just been a minor scuffle that would have been over decades ago.

*n

Caporegime
it will inevitably mean loads of vehicle check points and the increased police presence will undoubtedly result in riots breaking out. Vehicles will be hijacked and burned out to block roads and there'll probably be another exchange of gunfire at some point.

Sounds like a giant council estate full of ******

I just don't understand the mentality of some of these people, regardless of the historical backdrop the modern day struggle/"troubles" (pointless bunfight) is basically one bunch of people who worship their magical sky pixie in a different way to another bunch of people who worship the same magical sky pixie arguing over which geographical location they'd like to be ruled from.

Pointless waste of time tbh...

Back
Top Bottom