How much was everyones wedding?

Associate
a friend just got married and went to Thailand for honeymoon ........ total cost £18,000. Luckily they both have good jobs and don't owe anything and they had a really good time but it seemed a lot of dosh to me.

£18000 in thailand?? They either went for a 2 year honeymoon or bought some thai women to share their honeymoon!

Associate
I think we're probably looking at £15k excluding engagement ring or honeymoon. I'm the tightest person you could ever meet, but I'm not grudging it at all. I only intend to do it once and if £15k to make the day perfect makes her happy then it makes me happy too.

Costs so far:

Reception: ~£7500 depending on exact numbers (~120 guests)
Church: £600
Dress + 'bride bits and pieces': £1425
Bride shoes: £700 :eek:
Band: £650
Car: ~£350
Cake: ~£300
Groom, best man etc suit hire: £350
Flowers: £500
Balloons: £100
Photos: £0 (family member)
Gifts: £100
Stationery, favours etc: £200 (doing most of it ourselves)
Hair and Makeup: £400

...plus I'm still in discussion with her about whether we (I) pay for flower girls and page boys' outfits. I don't want them so I'm saying no. If I end up paying (and I will end up paying), that'll be another ~£200.

My best piece of advice so far is to go and see your band live before you book them. If nothing else it's a free night out!

Good luck!

J.B

J.B

Soldato
My sister has racked up a bill of 14K and expects the parents on each side to pay for it. My dad has a young family and a mortgage so it's not exactly great for him and my mum has had to move out of her rented 2 bedroom flat into a shared apartment with collegues.

Dont get me started!

Associate
£18000 in thailand?? They either went for a 2 year honeymoon or bought some thai women to share their honeymoon!

Including the wedding numbnuts :p

Any girl I'd marry would have to be sensible enough to realise that £10k+ for a one off event is totally ludicrous.

Don't agree? ok love, jog on.

Soldato
Im getting married in september and horrified how much everything is :S

So far

church £400 * will pay in aug

Menu

Starters –

Seasonal Melon with a Lime and Mint Dressing

or

Roasted Tomato and Sweet Pepper Soup

Main Dishes -

Lemon and Tarragon Roasted Chicken
on Olive Oil Mash with Mediterranean Vegetables
Red Pesto Dressing

or

Baked Sweet Pepper stuffed with Plum Tomato
Topped with Feta Cheese on Spinach with Toasted Pine Nuts
New Potatoes, Basil Pesto

Sweet

Wedding Cake platted and served with Red Fruits and Coulis

Served with Bowls of Locally Made Bread

Tea and Coffee

1 glass of wine, 1 glass of Sparkling Wine and 1 glass of fruit punch per person

Total £2900 * trying to negociate cheeper price

Dress £630 * Paid

For everyone whos got married recently, how much did it cost?

Well, off the top of my head (getting married a week on sat)

Meal for close family - £500
Buffet (heavily discounted) - £500
Flowers - £350
Dress - £600
Kilt - £1100
Rings - £500
Band - £400
Drinks - £500
Church - £150
Organist - £60
Balloons / Table decorations - £250

That's all I can think of at this hour - total pretty much £5000, plus weeks honeymoon £3000.

You're both missing a massively important part there.....where's the photographer :confused:

If you spend all that money on the event, and miss the photographer off the list it really does become an expensive one off event that will just fade from memory, with a decent proper album it's something you'll never forget....seems daft to miss it off to me :s

Last edited:
Associate
~£1k inc both wedding bands
We recieved almost double that in monetary gifts!
It was the most perfect day we could have asked for - I married the man I love and no amount of bows / frills / trappings could have improved on that!!

The money my parents would have put to a wedding we have been offered as a deposit on a house! Win win!

Soldato
This is why I'll never get married. I just can't see why anyone would spend 15k on a one-off event. It's ridiculous.

I dont expect you to understand this because its quite a personal thing, but for a good wedding any price is justified. Wait until one of your siblings gets married and your opinion may change. I wont say it will because weddings can go bad.

My sister got married almost 2 years ago now and it was not only the best day of their lives it was the best of my parents and also one of the best for every guest. I dont know what exactly made it totally special but everything came together in what guests could only describe as a perfect day. I will never forget it.

Soldato
Engagement ring £1850
Wedding rings £500
Dress £400
Wedding car £0 Gift from a friend
Reception £3000
String quartet £350
Cake about £80, just ingredients a friend made it
Church £? Can't remember
Choir £? Can't remember
Photos £800
Suit hire £360
Bridesmaid dresses £? Ain't got a clue guessing £200
Flowers, Balloons, Stationary £? Again don't know I reckon it was £5 or £600
Gifts £200
Honeymoon £2800
Hair and makeup think it was around £200
Champagne £400

I'm sure there's other stuff I've missed out but its coming in at about 12 grand and that was in 1999.

I can honestly say it was the best day of my life, just enjoy it because my day flew by, I was touched that so many people travelled and took time out to enjoy our day. Although from their point of view it's a good laugh and free food.
And if I may give you some advice have the speeches before the meal because once the speeches are out of the way you can really start enjoying yourself.

Soldato
We're on target for around £15,000.

Not even that big a wedding either! Going over the figures this weekend though to see if we can trim it :p

Associate
8 yrs ago I paid just short of £10k for our wedding in west London. Photographer was a family friend, limousine through my father-in-law (undertaker!!!) and didn't pay for the church because I was an active parishioner... honeymoon was cheap too because the venue was owned by a bridesmaid's parents (a small castle in Wales). Still spent the next 7 years paying off all that we had borrowed :eek:

But I don't regret a moment of it. A great day celebrated by family and friends and we've got some really nice pictures of the occasion too.

Associate
I'll tell ya next week.... :D

But on saturday its...

Church
chruch.jpg

The Do after..
2009-easterbrook-building2.jpg

The limo
ExcaliburLimoLogo.jpg

and then the honeymoon suite :D:D

Associate
Church - £500+ (Still paying every week, 4 years later!!!!)
Reception + Food - £15000
Suit and Dress - £5500
Rings - £8,000 (I know expensive but it's only once in a lifetime thing!)
Photos - £1250 (includes albums, picture frames, website etc)
Coach Hire - £1500 (For family to travel to church)
Limo hire £875
Holiday - £2000 (1 month in Turkey)
Wife wedding present - £35000 (villa in Turkey)
3 x Bridesmaid dresses and haircuts + makeup - £600
Flowers for church and reception - £350
Cake - Nan made it, lovely 5 tier cake to feed 150 guests
Drink - £1850+ on bottles of Champagne, other drinks supplied by bar for free
Music - Free
Other expenses like bringing family home from Spain to England - £2500
Gifts - as above, very very expensive.
Hotel for Spanish family guests - £2000 - Hotels in Weybridge are very expensive per night.

Most of my money went on gifts, travel arrangements and huge family to feed. :rolleyes:

Soldato
You paid £8k for rings, £1.5k for a coach, £35k for a Villa in Turkey and £2k for friends to stay in a hotel, yet you are still paying £500 for the Church?

Soldato
We did registry office and hired out function room with food afterwards.

Total was under a grand, as far as I remember.

We really saw no need for all the limo, church, "look at us" fancy-schmansery.

To be honest, the main cost looks to be the church - being non-religious cuts out a major amount of cost. I didn't want to go the church route as it would simply have been hypocritical above all else.

Back
Top Bottom