VOIP Help Needed

Associate
Hi Guys,

Im lookin for a bit of help with setting up VOIP on my home network. What id like done ideally would be for each pc to be able to call another (USB Phones attached or software based) and also be able to make and recieve external calls as obviously this is a lot cheaper than using the land line etc. Possibly IP phones in the future but this isnt a requirement really at the minute.

Ive never really got into VOIP so im fairly new to it all, i have an account with VOIP-Cheap which would be good if i could use to make the external calls with.

In regards to what software i use, which provider etc ive not really a clue so its over to you lot!

Thanks
Jas

Associate
If you want your own extensions throughout the house on the PCs and run Windows, take a look at the 3CX VoIP server.

You can then have each PC have their own extension.

If you sign up to a few different VoIP providers, you can have them as part of the setup so external people can call your PCs and you can redirect to different PCs depending on what external number is called.

Failing that you could sign up for one VoIP line and then have that call a 'receptionist menu' built into 3CX that you can record a message on: Press 1 for Bob, 2 for Peter etc....did that before and it works a treat.

As for a provider, I am still testing a few as well - sipgate seem to be quite good.

If you go the 3CX route and get stuck feel free to shout - have set a few of them up now.

Associate
OP
Hi,

The 3CX Sounds exactly what im after, do you have MSN or similar for some questions setting it up?

Thanks for your help,
Jas

Associate
aye no worries - malefic at live dot co dot uk...I don't read mail from there but me MSN is nearly always on in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom