• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Less than £200 graphics ATI or Nvidia

Associate
Hi guys and gals

I have around £200 to spend on a new card since my 8800GTX has gone pop after only 2 years.

I am trying to make my mind up between a 4870 1gig or the GTX260 maxxcore (216 nm). The Nvidia with it's 5 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty of the ATI is edging it although reviews put it slightly behind the ATI as a rounded package.

Any thoughts as I will be ordering it tonight

Many Thanks

Associate
OP
/DOH

Forgot to say these are what I think are best bang or buck in the sub £200 and what I was looking at, so how wrong am I?

Zotac GeForce GTX 260 AMP! Edition "55nm Maxcore" 896MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (ZT-X26E3KB-FCP)

VS

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail (21133-04-20)

Associate
OP
Both cards very similar performers, hundreds of threads on this very topic, go for whichever brand/bundle/colour/box art you prefer :)

Yep I had searched and it seemed to be very ATI sided, I was an ATI guy back in the day (Rage Fury MAXX dual gpu) but made a move over to Nvidia and stayed there. The biggest thing for me now is "what if it goes wrong" as above i paid a lot of money for my 8800gtx for it only to last 2 years I am not a happy man. The 2 years I had it was ace and it never missed a beat but the longevity of it disappointed me a lot.

Soldato
I picked nvidia from them 2. Zotac amp gpu i got last wed has the new gpu cooler aka the GTX 295 (nice cool and quiet), not the cooler shown on site. Nvidia also has cuda and physx if thats your bag, other than that, either would be good.

Soldato
Yep I had searched and it seemed to be very ATI sided, I was an ATI guy back in the day (Rage Fury MAXX dual gpu) but made a move over to Nvidia and stayed there. The biggest thing for me now is "what if it goes wrong" as above i paid a lot of money for my 8800gtx for it only to last 2 years I am not a happy man. The 2 years I had it was ace and it never missed a beat but the longevity of it disappointed me a lot.

There is a reason most people recommend ATI - due to price / performance / Value reasons, ATI cards have been on top most recently.

Associate
yes, my zotac amp 260 - 216 clocks like a monster, 650 core stock o/c , running it at 752 core , 1566 shader and 1323 memory. :D

that is high, did you do any volts mod?

I though 720 and 2500 was high for the GTX 260 216 cores!

I am waiting delivery of a bargain Gainward 260 golden sample which has a custom cooler and pcb. I would be glad to get something close to your Zotac!

Regarding the ATI/nvidia question, I believe an overclocked GTX 260 is just a bit faster than an overclocked HD 4870, correct me if i am wrong!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom