Brother needs an upgrade

Associate
Hi Guys,

'tis me again needing yet more advice for another brother.

He has an upgrade budget from 250 to 500, this would be higher but he has one of those "wife" things which has put a limiter on capital expendatures. LAIM!

So, the reason for the upgrade is the machine is getting a little slow, old and would like a performance upgrade, spacifically towards graphics for WoW etc etc.

Current Spec
CPU - AMD 64big 3700 thingy
Mobo - Can't remeber
RAM - 2 gig of Geil stuffs on two sticks
GFX - 7800 GT
Generic HDD's
Window XP

Given the budget I would suggest his biggest performance boost would come from upgrading to C2D or 7i & doing the gfx card later on down the line. But I want peoples thought / experiances / opinions of this one if thats kosher cool?

Thanks guys.

Agent

P.S. Any questions just ask, I'll check the thread regularly

Associate
What's his power supply? Is he just going to play WoW as this isn't a very demanding game or is he looking for games such as crysis?
i7 would probably be pushing it a bit on the budget. You could probably just get a system for that price, but then you're limited by the power supply and graphic card.

I'd suggest looking at either the AMD X3's or a Core2Quad, 4GB memory (speed depends on what cpu you get) again motherboard depends. and then a HD 4870 if you're looking for newer games. It should give you a nice kick :D

Soldato
xq0pk.jpg

plus another 30£ for the sunbeam cooler :D:D:D

Associate
OP
hay guys - thanks very much for the replies thus far. Really appreciate them.

Guardsmon, he does indeed have a case but I am unsure as to the PSU. He does play WoW a lot but will branch out into other games, he uses MY 19" monitor (the bar***rd!) so he won't need a 1gig card which is good news.

siumatfung - thanks for posting that spec, its shocking to see how much PC you can get for £ these days. :|

Definately food for thought, keep the suggestions coming dudes of doom.

Agent

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

Just talked with my brother about it all and he says thanks for the info so far. However a couple more questions have come up since:

1. He (read his wife) would like it to be quieter than before and he is sure it probably will be but would it be worth getting a specific case for this like either the one that siumatfung recommends or the Coolermaster Sileo 500?
2. CPU cooling fan, as the Athlon is a boxed product it will come with a fan but is it worthwhile buying a better one, if so which as we cant find one that states AM3 socket?

He wont need hard disks as he only recently bought a large one for existing machine and will re-use that.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom