Sennheiser HD555 - WOW!!

Soldato
Got these yesterday.

032609144911.jpg

Luckily just managed to miss a price rise headphones were only £57.95, soundcard was £59.99. Sounding great so far though! :D
Heh, i just installed an Asus Xonar DX and it has made my DT770's sound so much better than with my Audigy 4!

Didn't even think i would see such a huge difference. When i got the Audigy 4 it was a big step up from onboard, but this seems like an even bigger step again. Awesome!

Soldato
Does anyone with 555s and an Xonar D1 have the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter enabled? Cant tell if it sounds better or not. Sounds more vibrant but maybe more tinny and Ive only tried it with music.

Associate
Just got mine this morning...

Kinda suprised to say that i'm not that impressed.. perhaps I was expecting too much?

First impressions were that the bass was very smothering.. it seemed to be there all the time. Yet it excelled it some parts compared to my T7900's woofer.. i.e parts where it would have kinda resonated/reverberated (not sure what the correct term is to describe what it sounds like - well, either way, it doesn't sound good) it was perfect and still punchy. Bar the rather muffled and smothering bass the sound does seem very balanced.

Perhaps I need to listen to them more... I think i'm used to my X-Fi setup with all the crystaliser stuff and (probabaly badly setup) EQ. It just sounded rather muffled. I was about to say.. these aren't much of an improvement on my Apple stock earphones but then trying them again.. huge difference.

Soldato
Drivers tend to need to settle in, reset all your EQs and turn off Crystaliser, you should find the sound improves over the next week of listening as the drivers loosen up etc. Stiff/smothering bass is often caused by this in the first few hours, and should begin to settle soon. Leave them running with mixed music on repeat, when you arent using them, if you want to speed thiis up. Do this overnight and as they are so new you may find an improvement by morning.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Does anyone with 555s and an Xonar D1 have the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter enabled? Cant tell if it sounds better or not. Sounds more vibrant but maybe more tinny and Ive only tried it with music.

For music I have no effects on, Dolby Headphone or any other surround sound effect makes it sound echoey and odd.

Soldato
Varies depending on what I am listening too. I tend to leave it set to speaker mode with virtual speaker enabled when just listening to music. Live music does sound cool with the virtual surround effects.
The Virtual 7.1 comes into it's own in games and films. Transformers is epic with it on :D

Associate
Literally ordered these from a different site not knowing how good they are, having read this thread im pretty pleased and very much looking forward to receiving them now :)

I also have the Asus Xonar 7.1 PCIe Sound Card, which i believe some1 else in this thread just purchased but the PCI variant. Is it best to plug the headphones into my Speakers (Z2300 Logi's) or directly into the soundcard?

Also i copy my music to my HDD via Itunes and use 256Kbps option, is there a better option or would this be sufficient for the headphones? i.e could they reproduce better quality sound than 256Kbps?

Im not very knowledgeable when it comes too sound :(

Man of Honour
A few years back I bought a set of Sennheiser's just to play QUake (can't remember the model number) and I've never looked back. I'm on a pair of 595's now which aren't quite as good as my original set but absolutely great compared to low end stuff.

Associate
I think I've bust my 555's. After using them for about 3 months non-stop, pretty much as loud as they can go, the bass has completley dissapeared wether plugged into the pc or stereo. great cans while they lasted tho!

Soldato
Decided to take the plunge into > Medusas audio.
Got a set of 595's coming tomorrow, and a Beresford 7510 dac/headphone amp arrived today (which i've been enjoying breaking in)
How does my current x-fi extremegamer compare to an Asus, bearing in mind i'm using an external DAC?
Use is music / movies but also a fair amount of gaming that I intend to use the virtual surround feature for. How does dolby headphones compare to cmss-3d?
What settings are recommended on my X-Fi to get the best out of my setup? I assume i'll need separate profiles when switching between gaming and music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom