One of the best war movies ?

Associate
Cross of Iron.

Watched this last night on TV. I couldn't drag myself away from it. It is a superb film. You really do get wrapped up in the human emotion of it.

I've just recently read a couple of books on the eastern front, and yet some how, we all think of D-Day etc etc.. The eastern front was human carnage at it's best.

Its stars James Coburn in his best movie I can think of.

Associate
Cross of Iron.

Watched this last night on TV. I couldn't drag myself away from it. It is a superb film. You really do get wrapped up in the human emotion of it.

I've just recently read a couple of books on the eastern front, and yet some how, we all think of D-Day etc etc.. The eastern front was human carnage at it's best.

Its stars James Coburn in his best movie I can think of.

Yep, it's one of my favourite war films. A director's cut would be something else, but i doubt any cut footage would still exist.

Man of Honour
The counterfeiters, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Black Book and Female Agents are four more recent ones to chew through.

Band of Brothers is universally liked as well (thought I'd mention it).

Associate
Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are meant to be worth a watch although probably not in this league.
Both are good although I enjoyed Letters from Iwo Jima more. Flags of our Fathers had a lot more politics going on, whereas Letters was more focused on the battle.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Could try watching "Trench" and "A Bridge Too Far" - an old one and a more modern one. Both exceptionally good.

Soldato
The Pianist is another great war film imo.

I only just watched it recently thinking it would possibly be a bit average but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

It's more to do with how ze Germans dealt with Jews than an all out action war film. It has some great acting performances and is quite moving in parts - based on a true story.

If you haven't seen it then I can definitely recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom