Windows 7 4gb RAM installed, 3.25 usable????

Associate
Hi all,

Has anyone come accross this problem? I have Windows 7 7057 installed and it seems to only be using 3.25 of my 4gb of ram. It was ok yesterday when I had 4 1gb stick of geil in there but I just put my new 2 x 2gb ocz and now it says it can only use 3.25.

capturewjb.png

Anyone have any suggestions? Its the rig in sig

Last edited:
Soldato
Im the same on my Win7 build. (2x2GB) But thats 32bit...

Looks a little odd to me, like if you have onboard graphics enabled.

Associate
what computer are you running it on. For instance I've heard some (older) pre-built comps, (especially lappys) only have a 32bit memory controller in so even if you put 64bit OS on they still only see3.25gb worth.

Just a thought

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies,

It was on the rig in my sig, it doesnt have onboard graphics, and was running ok with 4gb as 4x1gb sticks before.

I have just managed to fix the problem so I thought I'd post the fix;

When I had previously had 4x1gb 800mhz sticks it had picked it up as 4gb ok. I then switched to 2x2gb 1066mhz and it said only 3.25 usable. I found that the problem had been that while I'd been using my old ram I'd gone into msconfig and gone to the boot tab and clicked advanced. In there I'd set the maximum available memory to 4096. This had worked fine with the old ram but with the new max available memory was showing as 0. To correct the problem I went back the general tab on msconfig and selected Normal startup and rebooted. When the system came back on all 4gb was usable again.

Thanks for the help but it seems problem solved for now :)

Back
Top Bottom