Company of Heroes 2.4 patch finally here.

Associate
I downloaded via the top link (not steam) @ 800KB/sec. No problems...

Must admit, I do like some of the new touches they have put in:)

Last edited:
Don
hmm, my first bad experience with steam for years..

taking a while to download, so i quit steam, restarted and it was back to 0% again, yay..

tempting to just delete my whole COH cache and starting over.

Associate
When I try and launch COH (no update found):
"The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request, please try again in a few minutes" :D

Soldato
Yeah it says game can't launch as servers are too busy... put it into offline mode and it says the game can't launch it's not ready. Very poor show.

Annoying as I had a free day today and wanted a good blast on CoH. Not really had much chance to put my new gtx260 through it's paces yet and then I run into this trouble... Not happy :(

EDIT - OMG it was upto 80% and now it's just reset to 0% WTF is going on with this!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
This piece of crap has been downloading and restarting ALL DAY!!!! :rolleyes: Just downloads at 20kb/s for an hour and reaches about 2% then restarts.

Won't let me play the game either as it's not ready :mad:

I just downloaded the file from your link in 30 secs flat.... Kaspersky has just had a heart attack and gone absolutely ballistic saying it's a virus!

Ive just installed the CoH patch too, funnily enough Kaspersky went nuts about it being riddled with virii as well. I think in this case Kaspersky is probably at fault

Associate
Coh's patches have always been hideously bad... This one was comparatively painless for me but getting op fronts/goty edition running if you'd already had a standard edition installed was horrendous, about 10 sequential patches all with the same huge fail rate.

Soldato
Seriousy.... for the life of me... could someone please even attempt to explain why Steam would completely annihilate their servers for absolutely no reason????

They make every person who has bought this game.... redownload the whole thing again - almost 8gb - for a 95mb patch???

I'm lost for words, I truly am. Up until today I was a fan of Steam.... now I feel pretty sure I'll never buy another game from them again.

Associate
OP
Sorry for all you having trouble with steam - can't beleive they're doing it this way, seems illogical.

First impressions on the basis of playing a couple of skirmish games as Brits v AI:

Sounds changed for many of the weapons in particular, definitely more beefy feel to a lot of them.

No more retreating Brits behind moving HQ (damn! That's scuppered my tactics on a few maps!). Now if you retreat a squad before the HQ is completely secured they will follow a route to the default truck spawn point instead.

Piat seems to be far more accurate (thank god). Vickers seems to supress much better now.

Overall seems quite polished (especially the new sounds). Need longer to assess it but unfortunately got to go to work first.

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
Sorry for all you having trouble with steam - can't beleive they're doing it this way, seems illogical.

First impressions on the basis of playing a couple of skirmish games as Brits v AI:

Sounds changed for many of the weapons in particular, definitely more beefy feel to a lot of them.

No more retreating Brits behind moving HQ (damn! That's scuppered my tactics on a few maps!). Now if you retreat a squad before the HQ is completely secured they will follow a route to the default truck spawn point instead.

Piat seems to be far more accurate (thank god). Vickers seems to supress much better now.

Overall seems quite polished (especially the new sounds). Need longer to assess it but unfortunately got to go to work first.

Same feeling here, the game feels that much more polished now, and the new music is very nice :).

Soldato
FYI those who reset to 0%;
It doesn't actually go to 0%, it starts a new counter from the point where you stopped it.

4GB downloaded of a 5GB file = 80% done.
Restarting it = 0% done, but only 1GB left to download.

The problem with the MASSIVE downloads for patches steams from the way steam works. It can either work nicely (See: any valve game) or work awfully and require you to download masses of data for very little change, as we see here.

Soldato
That might be true but from my experience yesterday something was very wrong. From the moment I turned on the PC I was stopped by Steam from playing a game I've paid for. That's no problem for half an hour or so.... but for almost 12 hours? For a simple little 100mb patch that I downloaded in 30 secs from another link??

I wouldn't even mind if I was given a choice but it just completely locks you out of your own game for a whole day!

Add to that the sheer stupidity of knowingly hammering their own servers so everyone gets drip fed... makes my head bleed lol! :o

What annoys me is they have a kind of power over when I can and can't play my own game in my own time... and they abuse it like they did yesterday. I mean can you imagine Sony stopping everyone using their PS3 for a whole day, without giving anyone a choice?

Don
hmm

think tonight i will just download steam on the laptop (and leave it running all night to get COH), can't afford the electricity if i leave my gaming pc on :D

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
That might be true but from my experience yesterday something was very wrong. From the moment I turned on the PC I was stopped by Steam from playing a game I've paid for. That's no problem for half an hour or so.... but for almost 12 hours? For a simple little 100mb patch that I downloaded in 30 secs from another link??

I wouldn't even mind if I was given a choice but it just completely locks you out of your own game for a whole day!

Add to that the sheer stupidity of knowingly hammering their own servers so everyone gets drip fed... makes my head bleed lol! :o

What annoys me is they have a kind of power over when I can and can't play my own game in my own time... and they abuse it like they did yesterday. I mean can you imagine Sony stopping everyone using their PS3 for a whole day, without giving anyone a choice?

Thats Steam for ya, as awesome as it is, there T&C's are quite frightening in how much control they have over your account and games. You only technically own a license to play the games, which they have total control over.

Back
Top Bottom