• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GT to HD4870 Improvements

Well, for a start, Red Alert 1 works better, definately in xp and a little bit better in vista, unfortunately the scroll rate in vista is a little, zoomy!

As far as modern games go, Crysis runs at full tilt (note, currently low resolution at 1280x1024, am saving for a new monitor though: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-024-DE which I'll get in the summer), Left 4 Dead's max fps is the same, but the minumum frame rate is higher (lowest is now 59, highest is 61 on max settings at 1280x1024 resolution). CSS is no different and COD4 is a bit stuttery now, but I think that can be fixed by turning off V-Sync, which this card sucks at!

Still, most importantly, red alert now runs better, I'll see if this card has any problems with my virtual machines, like the 8800GT did. I thought I'd post this for those who have an 8800 currently and are thinking of upgrading.

Oh and apart from the first 2 seconds that the machine is switched on the card is near-silent :) All you can hear from my PC are the hard disks and the CPU fan's low hum.

Soldato
If my PSU only has a single 6-pin PCIE power connector can I use one of those 2x molex to PCIE adapters to provide the second one? I am considering getting a 4870 soon but don't really want to shell out for a new PSU if my current 500w will work.

Man of Honour
If my PSU only has a single 6-pin PCIE power connector can I use one of those 2x molex to PCIE adapters to provide the second one? I am considering getting a 4870 soon but don't really want to shell out for a new PSU if my current 500w will work.

That's what I did - Old Antec 480W in use here.

Back
Top Bottom