PS3 or 360?

Permabanned
If the shop you buy it from will replace the 360 if it RROD's instead of sending you to Microsoft then I'd get a 360, if not get a PS3 because if it RROD's and the shop send you to Microsoft your brother will be looking at 2-3+ weeks without a console.

Associate
How do you know? Sure the PS3 doesn't **** up as much as the 360 but I have heard about a lot of people on these forums with faulty PS3's. Pretty alarming considering not all that many people own them here too.

I'm not too convinced on how well the PS3 will last yet, I've had 2 die myself.

ive had one since lauch day and havent had any problems and by the lasting power of their previous machines, ive never had a psone or ps2 fail on me both systems were put to sleep by my curiosity about what their insides looked like

Soldato
If you want to raise him well, don't get him a 360 ;)
Otherwise he will become a vulgar-mouthed, rampaging internet troll, due to the included and widespread use of headsets. You may think the interactions with other people over the internet is healthy than no interaction at all, but trust me, the internet is a perilous place.

Permabanned
If you want to raise him well, don't get him a 360 ;)
Otherwise he will become a vulgar-mouthed, rampaging internet troll, due to the included and widespread use of headsets. You may think the interactions with other people over the internet is healthy than no interaction at all, but trust me, the internet is a perilous place.

You can turn off voice via parental settings though. :p Plus Live is a paid service so you could just not let him use it, where as PSN is free. :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'd get him a 360.

I like both my PS3 and 360, but there is no doubt in my mind the few exclusive games on my PS3 are eclipsed by the quantity of quality on my 360.

Free online play is kind of meaningless when you compare the prices, you can get him a 360 with 2-3 new good games, a years Live sub and a bunch of MS points for the cost of a PS3 with Killzone.

I will say I'm on my second 360 since launch where as my PS3 which has been used just as heavily shows no signs of faults at all.

I will also say the console breaking is completely and utterly meaningless so long as you buy it from a shop where you can walk in with a faulty unit and walk out with a brand new one, for under 20quid you can do this for up to 3 years.

Lastly, as a 13 year old, both deals would be superb, I think you're doing a really great thing. You can't go wrong with either, just my opinion is the 360 offers so much more for your money.

Soldato
Hope your bro gets better!

In answer to your question:

For a 13 year old, I’d say 360 – Live always seemed to be full of that age range of players, so he may find more people of his age on there, that’s not to say the PS3 doesn’t have them; it’s just no one has a headset on PS3 :p

In all seriousness though, there’s very little difference between the consoles now. The old arguments about costs fall to the wayside somewhat, when you spec the machines as like-for-like as you can (excluding HD video capabilities), so whichever one ticks the most boxes for you/him.

From personal experience of both my consoles, I wouldn’t buy a 360 again, as (to me) the PS3 is better in so many ways:

The user interface is more fluid and less dressy than the new 360 jobbie, the network capability is friendlier (built in wifi and free PSN) albeit currently lacking some very basic features (in game private chat where are you!!!!) and the hardware seems so much more reliable than 360; coupled with the fact it doesn’t sound like a hoover.

But as others have said, there will always be fanboy wars over which is best – just make sure you pick which is best for you.

Scort.

Soldato
360, PS3 is an awesome console. But the back catalogue of cheap games now is unbeatable on 360. There are loads of AWESOME games that can be had for under £10, Plus the console being so cheap. It'll give him days, weeks, months of fun.

As for reliability, 360 is pretty reliable now. Only older 360s had major troubles.

Associate
Associate
If he hasn't had a 360 then the 360 is dead cheap and offers a massively good catalogue of games to catch up on.

I had a 360 up until February and thought it was awesome. I did have some technical issues and it went to MS quite a bit then RROD in February and MS wanted more money to fix it!

I made the decision then that I had played the 360 games catalogue, future exclusives didn't excite me and PS3 catalogue had some I had not played and seems like the PS3 is finally keeping pace with 360. Coupled with the fact that I get a BluRay player included in the PS3 was the final push (But you pay for it).

The other thing to take into consideration is which console his friends have because that will make online a bit more fun/accessible.

I made the decision then that I had played the 360 games catalogue, future exclusives didn't excite me and PS3 catalogue had some I had not played and seems like the PS3 is finally keeping pace with 360. Coupled with the fact that I get a BluRay player included in the PS3 was the final push (But you pay for it).

The other thing to take into consideration is which console his friends have because that will make online a bit more fun/accesible.

Soldato
Both machines are as good as each other for gaming, as for the online side the 360 is by far the best.

PS3 for online play is a bit home brewish, but then you get a lot more for yir money with the ps3 other than playing games...

I own both, my PS3 is now just for media streaming and blu rays and the 360 (which i just got recently) is used for the odd game that i cant get on the PC.

Soldato
Hi all,

My little bro has been quite sick over the last few months and it's meant he has missed school however, he has been doing work from home to try and keep up. He has always struggled with school due to various reasons and has had to give 110% just to keep up.

As he is probably going to be off for some time yet we all thought we would get him a console to keep him busy and as a reward for extra work. Question is, 360 or PS3?

I know there is a massive price difference and my brothers all want to get him the 360, however I was leaning more towards the PS3 due to free online play, thinking it may give him a bit more interaction with others, even if it is just to shoot them :D

I've a 360 and they are great, but I have never used a PS3 and was after people's opinions on them. I've heard varying reports about them being just as unreliable as 360's.

If you where a 13 year old boy, stuck at home which would you rather have, a 360 or PS3? and why?

I had a 360 and paid the £40 for live for the year. However for me I couldn't stand the noise from the thing. It was worse than my desktop for noise. The wife hated having it on due to that one aspect. Also you should calculate the cost of the 120GB hard drive which you'll need to buy as well.

So I wouldn't just say it's "dead cheap". 360+ HD + live for 1 year = 186 quid against a PS3 + with PS3 it is quiet and you get Blu -ray 286 quid

If you play online then after 3 years you will have paid 266 quid for your Xbox360 compared to 286 for your PS3.

They really are the same when it comes to games despite what others will tell you. I've had both for around 6 months.

Soldato
Woh Woh Woh, He doesnt NEED to buy a 120gb harddrive atall, I've not upgraded mine and its not interfered what so ever with my gaming on it.

So if you take the needed Hard drive money and put it into an Xbox live subscription fund, then he'll be fine! :p

Back
Top Bottom