I Don't Like Mondays

Associate
The mobile calls, emails and website visits of every person in Britain will be stored for a year under sweeping new powers which come into force on Monday. Privacy campaigners warned last night that the information would be used by the Government to create a giant "Big Brother" super-database containing a map of everyone's private life.

The new powers will, for the first time, place a legal duty on internet companies to store private information, including email traffic and website browsing histories.

Although the new retention powers will not permit the storage of the content of emails or phone calls it will show details such as IP addresses, date, time and user telephone numbers. Under the terms of the EU directive, the Home Office has written to leading internet service providers and phone companies offering to compensate them for the costs incurred in retaining the data for a year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...web-data-to-be-stored-for-a-year-1662237.html

Time to fire up the VPNs ... :mad:

Soldato
Hmmm, I suggest we set up a folding@home type app that just cycles through the entire IP range, just to annoy the authorities.

What annoys me the most is not what they're doing (I'm not surprised, coming from our government), but that this has slipped through without a peep from the so called opposition.

int

int

Soldato
Hmmm, I suggest we set up a folding@home type app that just cycles through the entire IP range, just to annoy the authorities.

What annoys me the most is not what they're doing (I'm not surprised, coming from our government), but that this has slipped through without a peep from the so called opposition.

And slipped through without any noticeable complaints from the citizens of this country.

Man of Honour
It's Labour, they've been doing this ever since they are in power, the more information the state has, the easier it is to control and threaten the populace.

They keep doing it no matter how many people object, how many times they are told it's pointless, or how many times they are warned that it's probably illegal.

The only thing that surprises me these days is that some people still defend them. They've managed to condition most of the country that complaining is pointless and will just lead to arrests, or simply be blindly ignored (even when those complaints come from the house of lords, or the EHCHR). This sort of thing is further evidence of why we need strict constitutional control on government behaviour and strictly defined rights that cannot be overriden.

Last edited:
Associate
What next - open all our mail and scan it before it's forwarded to us ? Get the police to follow random individuals around 'just in case' they are up to no good ?
I'm not normally of the tin-foil-hat wearing persuasion, but this intrusion into all our lives is simply going way too far.

Man of Honour
It's government, they've been doing this ever since they are in power, the more information the state has, the easier it is to control and threaten the populace.

Fixed for you. If you think the Tories are against this - no matter what they might say to get elected - then think through it a bit better. It's the nature of politicians that they want to control people: it's why they went into politics. This is a group of people who not only think that their opinion is more important that yours (that's just SC) but that you should be bound by law to follow their opinion. They think they know better than you, and that you need all this for your own protection. Even libertarians always find at least one group to apply this rule to.

M

Back
Top Bottom