• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Appropriate GFX for i7 Build?!

Associate
Hey guys

I'm about to purchase all these parts from OCUK:

specccc.jpg

I currently have a 24" monitor that I bought ahead of time in prep for this build.

I just want some advice on the GFX card to buy which would be appropriate to fit in with this spec, with gaming in mind at 24". My budged isnt exactly set, i just want something that fits the needs of the system, basically what would you buy!?

Also on a side note, will the PSU be sufficient? or isit worth getting a 700w?

Saving has finally reached the point where i can buy :D haha

Thanks a lot chaps!

Associate
Thats a similar spec to what I got - not installed the OS yet - still doing the cable management part. Modular PSU is preferable - the bunch of cables I have left over would have needed to be stashed somewhere. Chose the GTX 275 in the end, Its a long card but fits the 902 case pretty easily. Initially will run the cpu & 275 at stock but will crank it up a few days later.

The Akasa nero fits in the case, but I found it reaches not far off from the side panel. Fitting a side panel 120mm fan would be tight - i didnt bother.

Associate
OP
yeah, what made you chose the 275? what monitor you play on? i was going to choose a 275/285 or a 4890 .. but it seems with a 24" monitor it may be foolish? and the 4870x2 is the way to go :p How you fidning the 902 case ? :D

Associate
Im finding the case great. It shifts air very well. I use a 22" monitor and figured Id try NVidia for a change - plus wanted to see what cuda encoding benefits there were. I dont really game, but this is my once every three years system refresh - so figured its about £75 per year spread over each year - thats cheaper than beer money! (thats my justification anyway!)

I was gonna pick a 4890, but as everyone says, they are very similar you cant really go wrong either way. Im upgrading from AGP ATI, so its all good fun revisiting my ancient games on a newer machine!

Man of Honour
Depends on how big your budget is, if you can the best set-up would be a 4890 in Crossfire (2 of them), together they our perform a 295 on most games. If your budget is a little lower then you can choose a 4870x2, if its still a little bit pricey then a 285/280 should be enough.

If you need anything lower then a 285/280 then you can get one of the following in the order listed:

GTX 275, 4890, GTX 260 / 4870 (arguably the same).

Anything lower will not be up to spec with your computer.

Associate
OP
Thankyou wombraider + explicit4u, they are the type of comments I was looking for, but they contradict eachother, wombraider says 285>4780x2 and explicit 4u says 4780x2>285

my decision is between a 285 & a 4870x2 .. what will it be ? :p I can afford both!

Man of Honour
If you seriously want to play at 1920 or higher res with decent framerates and some future proofing then your looking at either 260GTX SLI or 4870X2... nothing else gives the right mixture of price and performance. The 28x cards are a lot more expensive than the 260 and only marginally faster (for the price of one you could get 2x 260 and you already have an SLI board). And likewise with the 295 while its marginally faster than the 4870X2 its a lot more expensive not worth it for the slight performance increase.

I would say that 4870X2 looks like being the best solution for you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you seriously want to play at 1920 or higher res with decent framerates and some future proofing then your looking at either 260GTX SLI or 4870X2... nothing else gives the right mixture of price and performance. The 28x cards are a lot more expensive than the 260 and only marginally faster (for the price of one you could get 2x 260 and you already have an SLI board). And likewise with the 295 while its marginally faster than the 4870X2 its a lot more expensive not worth it for the slight performance increase.

I would say that 4870X2 looks like being the best solution for you.

Spot On, 260SLI and 4870x2 are the best price/performance cards out there but the 4870x2 offers better temps and space because of the dual slot design as opposed to the 4 slots taken up by the SLI set-up

Permabanned
I would just like to point out that a single GPU solution will generally give you less
problems than a dual GPU solution.

With dual gpu you are at the mercy of the driver writers tweaking things ,
to work better with the games ( and if you play something old or not so popular then you are screwed )

As regards my own experience of GTX280 and 4870x2 in both a Q6600 and i7 920 system ,
the GTX280 frame rates were more consistant and showed less variance.

Man of Honour
Spot On, 260SLI and 4870x2 are the best price/performance cards out there but the 4870x2 offers better temps and space because of the dual slot design as opposed to the 4 slots taken up by the SLI set-up

The 4 slots thing is/can be quite a major deal breaker :( I can't get to the CMOS reset button without removing 4 cards from my PC in any standard sized case :S

Temps wise 260GTX SLI isn't too bad - infact my ambient temp has only gone up 1C from 1 card to 2. I'm not sure about comparisons to the 4870X2 but I'd wager the 260GTX SLI was marginally cooler running overall.

Man of Honour
^^i have never ran a SLI or Xfire set-up but i always presumed that since cards in my case vent downwards, having another card just below the vent will cause the cards to significantly heat up compared to just one of the cards venting downwards

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

still not decided?

Back
Top Bottom