My First Go At A Trail....

Associate
Yes the day came
icon_smile.gif
I decided to cycle to a trail that the guys in the local bike shop had been telling me about. The cycle there is uphill all the way so I was pretty tired when I got there (4 miles) as I have only been riding for 3 weeks.

That said, and too my surprise, after a mini mars bar and a 5 minute rest I was ready to go
icon_smile.gif

The trail is in Kent, in Breadhurst woods to be precise. I bit I dont was not all that long, probably about 2 miles, but it was my first go.

The first bit was slightly down hill, it then dropped off to a fairly steep path, rocks, roots, bit of mud, I had experienced nothing like it to be honest and was not sure what to do. In the end i thought, just go for it, so I did, I just bombed it down the path, not as fast as I could, but as fast as I felt comfortable with.

what surprised me in my short time of cycling is that I was looking ahead for objects, trying to plan my path round obstacles. it was great fun. then the not so fun bit.....

Yep, what goes down must come up. I had never used gear one before today. Jesus Christ it was hard work, especially trying to pick out a route that was not so rocky
icon_smile.gif

Result? I done it, but I was wasted by the top.

I had another 5 minute rest and carried on. the terrain was flat for about 1/4 mile, it was good though cos the terrain was under the canopy of tree's, therefore the ground was a bit more loose where it had not dried out, some of the track was boggy, so picking a route round these area's was great, having to go into the woods.

After this section it was down hill again, this time I started to pull the handle bars up when i came to roots etc, I also went a lot faster down this section.

the bottom came all too soon and I began the 4 mile cycle home, thankfully down hill.

I am surprised because that was by hardest workout. My legs don't feel too bad though, so I must be doing something right.

Really enjoyed myself, it was excellent. I was even more impressed with the bike, it just coped with everything, not a complaint, parts of the rocky terrain where i though to myself I may have an accident the bike just ploughed on through. Its a Scott Spark 35.

Love it. Want to do lots more. Cant wait until tomorrow.

Associate
You posted this on BikeRadar too? Not too far from me, Gillingham exit of the M2 if I'm correct?

I generally ride the Shorne Country Park area, or up around the Darnley Mausoleum. Plenty of routes around this neck of the woods (pardon the pun).

Soldato
what surprised me in my short time of cycling is that I was looking ahead for objects, trying to plan my path round obstacles. it was great fun. then the not so fun bit.....

Thats what you need to be doing, allow your peripheral vision to guide you past objects you have docked when scanning down the hill, dont focus on the objects or you'll run straight into them! :p

Its quite extraordinary how that works actually!

Back
Top Bottom