• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead 8800gtx, EVGA RMA nightmare

Associate
Hi all

My 8800gtx died few weeks ago, RMA´d it to Germany and yesterday after 2 long weeks I got the delivery.
When I open the box I realized that my very same 8800GTX was in it.
Then I read the following written on the invoice:
"The GPU died due to blocked cooling fans bla bla bla....too much fluffs inside....
A blocked cooler is not covered by warranty"

Thats it, 2 long weeks and my very expencive card (bought from here of course) is dead and I will not get a replacement,nothing.
And the only reason why I choose EVGA was for the 10 years warranty we get here in Europe, 10years of warranty that covers almost everithing (overclocking/ change of cooler ect) exept dust, fricking dust, is this possible?
I mean, i have a fulltower case, few fans, vaacum clean it regurarly, check temps for GPU, RAM, CPU ect all the times, and never has something failed me for dust, altrough, who doesnt have dust in their cases?. If I only knew, I could have opened the cooler, clean it before sending it to Germany....

Anyways, I posted this in the EVGA forum, waiting to see if anyone can help me. But, does any of you guys ever has had a symilar issue before or is this normal?

Thanks for reading

Associate
Cheeky swines. No I haven't ever owned anything evga but their reputation is high up with most because of their warranty. Well I'll make sure not to buy their brand, thanks for the heads up.

Associate
Im not surprised they fobbing you off with the amount of people now adays abusing the warrnty and RMA. See the thread where a guys thinking about microwaving his card to get a free upgrade.

Its a shame because the genuine people get a raw deal like your self. :(

Soldato
Have actually heard of other people getting denied RMA's due to blocked cooler from dust so youre not the only one. I think it sucks but im not sure there is much you can do. Try and RMA it to somewhere else?

Soldato
Nah its not fair - its ridiculous.

However, have you tried cleaning the card of dust and seeing if it works yet? seriously?

And, if it doesnt then i would RMA it again but this time containing a strongly worded letter explaining that you have now cleaned the card and and expect a replacement - also discuss how appaling an excuse the last refusal was. That will make them sit up and smell the Bratwurst.

Soldato
Email : Peter Tersluisen -(Technical Director European Operations) directly

He was helpful when my 680i died and my e-reatiler sent it back to me as there were burn marks! which weren't there when i sent it but were there when i got it back!. anyway here is his email he sorted me out , duno if he still works there though as this was over a year ago

[email protected]

its worth a shot !

Associate
OP
When i got the card back, I took the dust away (tired it once again, but its just dead), but honestly, it wasnt as horrible as it sounds, this is why i sent it that way, also I monitor all my temps, and they were never too high.
I am pretty sure they didnt touch the card at all, they saw the dust and sent it back just in the same conditions as when I sent it to them.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys......keep `em coming!

I will point this thread to EVGA customer support ...I am still waiting for a proper response from EVGA, but considering the long Easter´s weekend, I will wait until Tuesday, so..... the more comments, the better!!!!
Thanks again!!!

Soldato
This is why I decided not to pay a premium for EVGA and their supposed 10 year warranty. They'll obviously get thousands of returns and they'll need to start buckling down sometime.... seems they've started already?

Unless your card was seriously, filthy dirty then they're trying to con you, simple as that.

Caporegime
Had this same issue with a 680i mobo. I was sending the board off for a free upgrade to a 780i, the swap was turned down due to brown dust in the mcp heatsink, there was no dust in the board when i sent it off as i had removed the fan assembly and cleaned it with compressed air. My board was in germany for almost 3 weeks during which time evga were moving headquarters, so god only knows where it had been stored during this time. Got the board back and within a month it died on me, didnt even bother with another rma as it would have cost more money and hassle.

Associate
That sounds pretty rubbish, and I thought they were supposed to be one of the best for warranty!!

Like youve said, they cover for overclocking, changing cooler etc, so why not for a bit of dust... doesnt seem logical to me

Back
Top Bottom