Torn between Unis choice

Caporegime
Just my 2ps worth

I'm guessing there isn't too much difference in terms of the courses themselves - and most UK hiring managers know that both are excellent universities

However in terms of global brand - Cambridge has a much bigger name - if you later want to work in the city perhpas then you could well be interviewed by a US, french, russian, asian hiring manager. Cambridge on your CV might help you more there.

Aside from brand I can't think of much else to chose from though. Possibly personal preferences in terms of town/big city and short term differences in living costs - though in the grand scheme of things these shouldn't be the deciding factor if you're only going there for a year.

Caporegime
The way I see it is if you conciously do the MPhil then Id always consider you going further into academia/research in my eyes...

I don't think thats the case though. I'm pretty sure that unlike other universities where an MPhil is a research masters in Cambridge it can simply be a normal taught course as per any other "MSc" from a different uni. Just as Oxfrod offers a DPhil instead of PhD

Soldato
I don't think thats the case though. I'm pretty sure that unlike other universities where an MPhil is a research masters in Cambridge it can simply be a normal taught course as per any other "MSc" from a different uni. Just as Oxfrod offers a DPhil instead of PhD
As far as I'm aware, Oxford and Cambridge having 'Phil's where they don't belong is merely a historic thing. I do Biological Sciences at Oxford, but we get a BA rather than a BSc like the rest of the sciences. If I were to do a DPhil (by research) here, there would be no difference to any other PhD apart from the name. Biology is the only 3 year science course here (though it's changing in the next few years) - everyone else gets a MSci straight off.

Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware, Oxford and Cambridge having 'Phil's where they don't belong is merely a historic thing. I do Biological Sciences at Oxford, but we get a BA rather than a BSc like the rest of the sciences. If I were to do a DPhil (by research) here, there would be no difference to any other PhD apart from the name. Biology is the only 3 year science course here (though it's changing in the next few years) - everyone else gets a MSci straight off.

Ooo biology. What year are you in? Are you enjoying it? I have not spoken to someone doing biology at Oxford :)

Soldato
Ooo biology. What year are you in? Are you enjoying it? I have not spoken to someone doing biology at Oxford :)
3rd year - pressure time, which means I'm currently procrastinating on here rather than working.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The name does work wonders, I have to say - I've got myself a nice PhD lined up for next year.

E-mail in trust goes to my Ox account if you want to ask me anything ...

Man of Honour
3rd year - pressure time, which means I'm currently procrastinating on here rather than working.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The name does work wonders, I have to say - I've got myself a nice PhD lined up for next year.

E-mail in trust goes to my Ox account if you want to ask me anything ...

I bet it is fantastic. I did biology at Bristol and it was pretty damn tough in the third year. I was turned off the whole PhD route when doing my dissertation but I was considering it for a long time. What / where is the PhD?

Soldato
I bet it is fantastic. I did biology at Bristol and it was pretty damn tough in the third year. I was turned off the whole PhD route when doing my dissertation but I was considering it for a long time. What / where is the PhD?
My dissertation was ecologicalish - 'The annual cycles of gonadal maturation and moult in three species of raptors' - but I'm more interested in disease really, so that's where I'm heading with my PhD. I'm going to be working at the NIMR on endogenous retroviruses (the positive or negative influences of ERVs on immune reactivity to exogenous retroviruses).

Associate
OP
You, guys, are right - if I don't go to Cambridge I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I will, of course, go to both places, but I think I now know where I want to be and the rest is just details that I'm sure I can resolve. :)

Associate
In my opinion there isn't really a wrong answer here. Of course 'outsiders' will probably favour cambridge over Imperial, but they are both excellent places, and you've found yourself in a position of choice that 98% of the population can only dream of.

Soldato
You, guys, are right - if I don't go to Cambridge I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I will, of course, go to both places, but I think I now know where I want to be and the rest is just details that I'm sure I can resolve. :)

A bit extreme. I doubt the people that have decided to go to Imperial over Cambridge, regret the decision.

Soldato
Cambridge, end of story really. I don't care what anyone says but if Oxford or Cambridge offer you a place you take it over any other UK uni. Even though quality of education wise I'd guess they will similar having Cambridge on your CV will open a few more doors :)

Soldato
Cambridge on your cv will definitely get you places. Although Imperial is well known by big companies who will regard it highly, a lot of people surprisingly have no idea about it. I go to Imperial myself and I keep having to tell one of my close friends the uni I go to...all he remembers is the fact that it's in London :S.

Back
Top Bottom