• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's all this pap about the GTX 285 being insanely overpriced?

Associate
It seems to be the latest craze to say how overpriced it is. Just looked through 3 threads and all of them have people making comments. I just got one lol so I kinda curious why?

I paid £270 for mine with £8 cashback through quidco (get it back in about 2 months lol).

It's quite easy to find them cheaper than the £300+ people seem to assume they cost. I mean, you people going on about how overpriced they are (yes I agree to an extent but not quite how some of you are making out as if it's in fashion or something).

I suspect you don't realise that they can be had for fairly reasonable price?

Coming from an 8800GTX, is it really worth upgrading to anything less? Just curious on some opinions...

Soldato
i think the comments come from the time when OCUK were having a massive sale on the GTX280s and the fact that the 2 cards are similar in performance.

Caporegime
its 50% more expensive than a 275, its about 90% more expensive than a 260, is it even close to 50 or 90% faster than those two cards respectively, not even remotely damn close, hell in certain situations its barely 5/10% faster, i'm sure thats going to be that one single game where the memory makes a huge difference at some stupid resolution and its like 40% faster, at a resolution only 0.08% of buyers use, wooo.

90% more cost, for 15-20% more performance is NOT good value.

Spitzoid, you're way better off, lets take the 260, you can get maybe up to 80% more performance, for a little over say 120% of the price, you're actually in a way better cost/performance ratio. AT launch at £440 maybe vs 260's which were £180-200 the price was even more reasonable, since the 260's hit £160 or so the 295 isn't such a good comprimise as 2x260's becomes more attractive, but then you'd have to have a sli mobo, a 295 is still cheaper than a change to a worse sli mobo just to use 2x260's.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Well It's overpriced because a £100 graphics card is almost enough to max most games bar a couple.

What are all these mythical games that need a £300 card ?

Permabanned
It seems to be the latest craze to say how overpriced it is. Just looked through 3 threads and all of them have people making comments. I just got one lol so I kinda curious why?

I paid £270 for mine with £8 cashback through quidco (get it back in about 2 months lol).

It's quite easy to find them cheaper than the £300+ people seem to assume they cost. I mean, you people going on about how overpriced they are (yes I agree to an extent but not quite how some of you are making out as if it's in fashion or something).

I suspect you don't realise that they can be had for fairly reasonable price?

Coming from an 8800GTX, is it really worth upgrading to anything less? Just curious on some opinions...

I bought my GTX280 for less then that almost a year ago, this card is the same generation, cheaper to make, and only slightly faster, it is overpriced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah there was that mega sale where we all got gtx280's for just over £200 (mine cost £13 extra for NI delivery annoyingly...) and the card has pretty much the same(ish) performance.....

Anyway its really overpriced as we are all waiting to see what next gen card speeds are like and if there are any games that genuinly push them....

*hugs old 7800gt thats going to a mate soon*

Soldato
The GTX260 is as fast as anyone needs these days @ 1920x1200 and below, and costs roughly half what a 285 costs, yet is only around 10-15% slower, and much less when you overclock the 260.

That's why the 285 is overpriced :)

Soldato
I remember when the x1900 was top of the pile 3 or 4 years ago. I paid nearly £300 for that. Was it worth it? Probably seeing as I was used to Geforce 2MX something another.

Caporegime
The price at which the gtx285 is being sold at is x2 territory and yet doesn't come anywhere close in terms of performance so that's why it's overpriced.

Well you can also get 2x260's for the same price but there are advantages to single GPU cards, Crossfire/SLI technology is far from perfect there are a lot of compatiblity problems outside the "mainstream" games.

Associate
Personally I don't think it's expensive at all, it's the fastest single GPU card so there will always be a premium to pay.

Hell, I paid that for my 8800 Ultra, which is a bit faster than a GTX but still for me it was still worth it. I paid 340 for my GTX280 which was not a bad price at the time.

Bank for buck is not important, I just wanted the fastest card. That is what you are paying the extra for.

Oh and SLI doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom