Two year olds can drive you nuts

Permabanned
There seems to be a theme of destruction of VHS/DVD players here... I think we're lucky as our little lad (turned two in Feb) isn't interested in the slightest.

However, we are finding lots of strange objects in the washing machine.....
Elephants??????? ;)

Soldato
My two year old is currently leaning over the side of his cot shouting "daddy, I want to come out. I want to play hide and seek. I want a book. I want to come out," over and over and over again as loud as he can...

I am trying to ignore it. It's beginning to do my head in somewhat...

Associate
Having a 2 year old truly is a nightmare

at the moment my SUB is a favorate he shoves everything in the port goood job the back comes off lol

at the week end i caught him dangling off my pc dvd drive draw (no joke)

the tv is screwed covered in scratches thankfully you cant see them when its turned on

every thing of value is hidden away im sure he will grow out of it though

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to think of anything our 2 year old has broken. He's prised a few keys off an old mobile phone that was his to play with anyway (keeps him away from the decent new ones!) but apart from that I'm coming up blank. He occasionally gets a bit excited with a lift the flap book and rips a bit off but that's about it. We do let him play in the garden a lot now that it's not freezing and/or raining so he must let most of his steam off there!

The only thing he seems interested in doing with my computer is either pressing the light-up power button (and therefore putting the computer to sleep) or pressing the "change input" button on my monitor.

Now that I've written this of course there will be a trail of wanton destruction tomorrow morning. :D

Associate
Our Eve is nearly 1, she's a nightmare!! Already broke a key off the laptop, had to move all CD's out of reach, had to sellotape the sky card to the box to stop her taking it out :D Keeps banging her head on the gate in temper and biting :eek: Our Nathan (5) cant have anything without her wanting it, which is quite difficult when he's into Star Wars figures and Lego (all the little pieces) and trying to explain to him that she doesn't understand. She turns the TV on and off, turns sticky keys on, xbox on, haha great fun but very frustrating. It's just learning and cant be too hard. Nath is a good boy and respects things even though he went through a similar phase.

Kids!! Who'd have em :D

Soldato
Ours shoved his toothbrush so far down the paper intake tray on my printer that it took me over an hour of prising, wrenching and fishing around down there with several different tools before I could free it.

He's also drawn all over our TV screen with green marker pen, regularly shoves a quite unreal amount of wooden blocks and other toys into the tape slot, likes taking my CDs out of their cases and using them to make "rainbows," is obsessed with taking the chip-card out of our V-box and then leaving it wherever he happened to be playing last, and has just found out that he can poke holes in our plasterboard landing wall which he thinks are just perfect for plugging in the hosepipe from his Lego firestation set.

He's only just turned two as well. I guess we've got a whole year of this...

Caporegime
same here,my 2 year old is really good.

she knows not to touch my pc.

never goes near the tv or dvd player.

she is awsome to look after.

Wish jake was like that. He knows how to plug the wii back in after i've unplugged it, will happily swap discs, turn tv on and turn it to AV3, turn the volume up so that it sounds better.

He won't let anyone else do it, because hes and indepenent little **** :p

In some ways its bad, but in others its really good. He has a great grasp of things, he loves my laptop (though using 2 hand is beyond him at the moment) and his hand eye co-ordination on the wii is stunning (also his speed, 100m in 9.324 (he did it in 9.1 something, but it didnt save it, so his official one is 9.324 hehe))

!!

Caporegime
My two year old is currently leaning over the side of his cot shouting "daddy, I want to come out. I want to play hide and seek. I want a book. I want to come out," over and over and over again as loud as he can...

I am trying to ignore it. It's beginning to do my head in somewhat...

thats a good thing. wait for the time its 'waaaaaaaaaaah i want a cuddle' or 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i hurt myself', anything to make you react. clever little things :p

Associate
25438_PE110290_S4.jpg
I have the exact same unit! The windowed doors allow me to use the remote and the height keeps the TV out of reach of sticky fingers.

I also modded an Xbox and networked it to my PC where I backed up most of the kids movies. Now I don't have to worry about scratched DVDs. :cool:

Lastly, I have put a hold on new furniture. Our sofa and coffee table could do with being replaced but I see little point until the wee ones are a lot older (oldest is 7, youngest is 1). The only brand new replacement we've bought in the last 5 years is our bed.

Soldato
What measure have you taken?

Condom

Hot poker

Napalm

To name a few, and have yet to fail ;)

I feel for you Huddy, but arn't they sooo cute ? :)

and coffee table could do with being replaced but I see little point until the wee ones are a lot older (oldest is 7, youngest is 1). The only brand new replacement we've bought in the last 5 years is our bed.

This made me giggle. Anyone else, or just me ? :D

Our little one is an absolute character I sometimes get frustrated by his antics but in fairness I realize that had I been paying him attention then he wouldn't have done them.

He is just full of personality and a very mischievous (but not really naughty) streak.

One of my favorite (but not to clean) instances of mischief was about 9 months ago, he managed to climb to the top of his drawers (about 3 feet) using each drawer as a step, get the baby lotion and the talcum powder and liberally applied both to himself, the floor, the wall and well everywhere. I found him sitting on his carpet in a kind of white paste. All I said was "You realise your mum will kill me if she sees this. :) Are you plotting against me or something?" then scooped him up and popped him in the bath.

We redecorated his room a while back and because the walls are not that good we papered the room and we were very pleased with it, about a month later he had ripped a fair chunk out of a panel or 2. We learned our lesson no wall paper in his room next time we decorate.

He has pushed the cone in on both speakers of my mini stereo, its a few years old and still works, so no great loss

I cant really get that mad at him I know he means no harm

He is fascinated by fixing things (in particular my computer) and will always come and help me. (usually by hiding the screws) I just have to remind him not to touch the insides when its on.

He likes to play computer games and has worked out how to change them (and DVDs) a long time ago and how the use the 360 to watch films

He basically knows where everything is in my parents kitchen, so if I need something (any item whatsoever) I ask him and he tells me where it is.

He likes to "help" with cooking which can be a bit tricky when you have hot stuff or knives out but in general he is helpful.

When he doesn't get his way he announces "I need a wee!" and does a full knees touching holding groin looking like he is about to hose the place down pose. Unfortunately he knows we cant call his bluff (despite us knowing it is a bluff) so we have to stop everything and take him to the toilet (however this is usually not what he wants so I'm not sure what it really gets him).

He is very good at respecting our stuff and his grandparents stuff, he will not touch my dads 50" plasma but he will get as close as he can, just to make sure you are paying attention.

His biggest problem is he has a mischievous look about him when he is about to do something he shouldn't its such a big tell that he usually gets warned before he has caused any form of mischief

Last edited:
Soldato
Would anyone agree with me that 2 year olds can be destructive as hell?

It's a nightmare, we've had to move and pack away everything from our lounge because Dan has his hands and fingers in everything.. Even my PC has a modded fireguard around it because he broke the DVD drive.

Speaking of which he tried inserting bread into the old VHS player.. Needless to say the picture is a bit grainy :p

Don't get me wrong, i love him to bits but it's hard work.

Has anyone else found this.. What measure have you taken?

Agreed, my 2 year old (coincidentaly also called Dan) has amazing destructive powers, I went to answer the phone the other day and left an acoustic guitar leaning against the couch, within the space of about 20 seconds he'd detuned every string and snapped the top E. He went on later that day to break a DVD player simply by touching in, no idea how but it just repeatedly switches itself on and off since he got his hands on it.

We also tried growing sunflowers last year but everytime they got to about 1ft tall, he took it upon himself to pick them.

I've also gone to great lengths to teach the kids the importance of having a tidy room but all it takes is Dan in there for a minute and it looks like a tornado has hit.

My other two kids (now 4 and 7) never had the same destructive power as Dan :)

Caporegime
Totally agree with you here, my godson (now 3) was a little git at 2 constantly doing things he was not allowed and breaking out his cot bed. little gem now though.

Back
Top Bottom