how do i do a clean re-install of vista ?

Associate
hi
i want to format the hdd so i can do a clean install of vista basic 64bit.
with xp you just set up to boot from the dvd drive and go from there.
i tried to format the disk from the dropdown menu on "computer" but i it says you cant format partition/drive because it already has vista on it.
so how the hell are you supposed to completely wipe the hdd in order to do a totally clean install of vista?:confused:

Soldato
Hi you can't format the drive you installed your OS on from windows. The best thing is for you to google - How to do a clean install of Vista x64, there's plenty of info on how to do it, print it off so you can read it as you go along. It's easy to do m8.

Soldato
Originally Posted by stryder
so how the hell are you supposed to completely wipe the hdd in order to do a totally clean install of vista?Originally Posted by oldphart
Hi you can't format the drive you installed your OS on from windows. The best thing is for you to google - How to do a clean install of Vista x64, there's plenty of info on how to do it, print it off so you can read it as you go along. It's easy to do m8.

If he had googled - How to do a clean install of Vista x64.
Google's answer as follow's -

HOW TO DO A CLEAN IN STALL OF VISTA X64-

1. Boot the computer from your Vista installation DVD.
NOTE: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first in the boot order in the BIOS.
2. When prompted, press any key to start Vista from the installation DVD.
NOTE: You will only have about 8 seconds to press this key. If you miss it, you will have to restart the computer.
3.Set up your language preferences and click Next.
4. Click Install Now to start the installation.
5. Type in your product key number.
6. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked.
NOTE: You can activate Vista later when you make sure it is running properly.
7. Click on Next.
8. Check I accept the license terms box and click Next.
9. Click on Custom (advanced).
10. Select the hard drive you want to install Vista on and click Drive Options (advanced).
11. Click Format to format the hard drive.
NOTE: If you have more than one partition on this hard drive and want to get rid of it to make one big drive,
then click Delete for each partition.
Now click New and adjust the partition size to what you want, then click Format.
12. Click Next when it is done formating the hard drive.
13. The installation of Vista will now start.

NOTE Now that Vista is installed, it is time to set it up.

1. Type in a user name, password, optional password hint, and select a display picture for your administrator
user account.
2. Click on Next.
3. Type in a computer Name and choose a Desktop Background.
4. Click on Next.
5. Click on Use recommended settings
6. Set your time and date settings, then click Next.
7. Click on your computer's location to select it for the network location settings.
8. Click on Start to boot Vista for the first time.
9. Before Vista boots for the first time it must perform a performance check to see what features to turn on or off.
10. Install all of your device drivers, then Windows Updates.
11. Update drivers.
12. Update your WEI score.
12a. You have 30 days to activate Vista leave it for a week to see if your set up is ok ( STABLE) Then activate Vista.
THE END.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried to re install vista last night,
if u just boot off the vista disc, if leaves the old install in a folder marked old which takes up space
It also didnt work properely for me.
i had to plug hdd into a different pc, reformat the drive then the install when fine

Associate
it's really easy but so many ppl seem to miss this for some reason.

driveoptions.jpg

after clicking on drive options you can format the drive.

Soldato
Originally Posted by timciren
I tried to re install vista last night,
if u just boot off the vista disc, if leaves the old install in a folder marked old which takes up space
It also didnt work properely for me.
i had to plug hdd into a different pc, reformat the drive then the install when fine

Yes it do's give you the opportunity to save your old Vista install (Vista old) it's just in case you need any info or setting's, you can delete it at any time even when you have done a clean install again. If you had of read my post and followed - How To Do A Clean Install Vista x64 - if you had done -
9. Click on Custom (advanced).
10. Select the hard drive you want to install Vista on normally C: drive and click Drive Options (advanced).
11. Click Format to format the hard drive (this would have deleted anything on drive C: IE - your old vista OS) and if you had followed the rest of the instruction's you would have not had any prob's at all. if you’re not sure of anything one of the best bit's of advice I got from this forum is Google is your best friend. It's true if you need advice at short notice it's on the net i.e. - info on computer's how to build, install your OS, etc. This is how I learned about computer's as well as getting sound advice off the peeps in the forum.

Associate
doh again to oldphart !
i shouldnt try to do 2 things at once either, I was watching a movie with the wife and reinstalling at the same time
nevermind its not like i missed a nite out down the bigg market, how is my hometown ?

Soldato
Originally Posted by timciren
doh again to oldphart !
i shouldnt try to do 2 things at once either, I was watching a movie with the wife and reinstalling at the same time
nevermind its not like i missed a nite out down the bigg market, how is my hometown ?

imao,
Q-how is my hometown ? ANS- the toon very canny these day's marra

Back
Top Bottom