Impreza WRX Spoiler change - Anyone done it?

Soldato
I picked up an 05 Impreza WRX PPP on sat. I hate the low level spoiler as it really doesnt look right so I orderedd the STI style high level one.
Has anyone else done the same change? If so, did you just use the 4 standard mounting holes or did you drill extra ones to support the extra weight? I don't want it to rip itself off at speed or anything!

Cheers.

Soldato
could have one of those "special" ones that sneaky peaky had. Looked like something from halfords but cost a packet

Scoob019.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, real STi spoilers have got a fair few holes. Not just the two either side.

Psycrow, does the spoiler you have bought have more than just two bolts either side? If so, utilise them, even if it means drilling your boot..

Ah, may be on the earlier ones then. My friends Classic V5 Type-R only had 2 holes either side!

Man of Honour
Nope, real STi spoilers have got a fair few holes. Not just the two either side.

Either 10 or 12 total, I forget which. I have heard of people just using the four original holes, but I'd never dream of it: even at legal speeds the drag on the spoiler will be colossal: at the very least you stand a good chance of bending the boot. Sorry, it's drill time.

M

Soldato
OP
Spoiler has more points than the boot has holes. I think I'll get the old drill out at the weekend and some strong double sided tape like the high grip no more nails stuff, dont fancy the spoiler exiting the car at speed!

Gaijin - you are right, the WRX one just looks lame, car would be better with nothing. I also ordered some mudflaps.....I need to make sure this isnt a slipperly slope.

Associate
Best bet is to get an STi boot and spoiler rather than drilling a WRX boot. I seem to remember as well the spring rates are different so would need to change those to cope with the heavier spoiler.

Mine was a genuine STi one from a spec C and cost a fortune although replica ones are available and cheaper..

Soldato
OP
Hmmm I was wondering about the boot springs but the spoiler isnt THAT heavy. Its not the official £900 from subaru one, its a replica (perhaps too cheap a replica, will see when it comes back from being painted, might have to end up getting a more expensive and better quality one!).

Soldato
OP
The STI spoiler or the one in the picture posted? If you meant the picture thats of sneaky peakys old car and you should read every post! If you mean the STI one then I disagree, it looks just right!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom