Chinas space walks faked

Man of Honour
The only thing that i find strange about the video is the position of the earth. I've never tried flying a space craft but i'd imagine that its quite difficult to get perfectly stable at the speed its going and surely even a few degrees of rotation would be noticeable because of the distance away from earth?
Even "fixed orbit" satellites are not perfectly stationary and "wobble" a bit iirc (may be wrong about this though)
You'd never see "wobble". That at the very least requires friction, which there isn't much of in near vacuum. Most craft 'steer' using jets of gas. These don't impart much force because the last thing you want is a craft spinning off uncontrollably (it's much easier to start moving than it is to stop).

In fact, it's possible to propel spacecraft using very little force. Consider supporting a single sheet of A4 on your hand - that's the same force some spacecraft use.

Which China couldn't give a damn about. Look how much they spent on the Olympics. Their goal is simply to do whatever it takes to become a space-faring nation. The same was true of the US in the 60s, for much the same reason - politics.

Caporegime
Yeah, although it does seem pretty difficult for America to repeat that kind of feet lately.

huh? there have been loads of televised/filmed space walks from America/Russia in the last few years.

If you're saying thier faked you're going to have to explain how they fix/upgrade Hubble.

Man of Honour
At exactly the right speed? And why doesn't it move in the shot?

It's a good job that satellites go at exactly the same speed as the Earth or else I wouldn't be able to pick up SKY, Astra, Hotbird or Thor.
It's called a geostationary orbit.

Anyway, 1000s upon 1000s of NASA professionals must have followed, tracked, watched and analysed this walk but some 15 year old cries FAKE.

Associate
It’s quite obvious to me that the Americans faked it. If they really went to the moon wouldn’t they have opened a McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken or a Wall Mart by now? It was forty years ago and they haven't been back lately? I doubt if they have the technology to do it now. After all, even with all their technology they still can't get their hands on one infamous earthling. On my travel to Africa some people even suggested that the Americans had invented Osama Bin Laden too. (I don't hold with their views on that one).

If they had been there wouldn’t their film industry be there today making "Movies" (films to the rest of us) with Good Guys on moon buggies being chased by Bad Guys etc.

They didn’t go there because there is no one there they could subjugate, no one to hate or alienate.

They faked it!:D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So there's no chance that the craft was in a geostationary orbit?
If so that's buggered that explanation then.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary

"The satellite orbits in the direction of the Earth's rotation, at an altitude of 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above ground"

from http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/971115b.html

"The altitude at which the shuttle orbits depends on its mission. When the Shuttle docks with Mir, it goes up to 390 km (242 statute miles). Columbia, the oldest and heaviest shuttle in the fleet, can't reach that orbit. "

Yea, so there is no chance it was geostaionary

Caporegime
The only things I'm still iffy about in the video are that all debris/bubbles shoot straight up far faster then they should given that the hatch was open so long there's no chance that there was that much gas still coming out, it also doesn't explain why the debris later on coming from different areas shoot upwards too. Granted if the object was slowed, ie pushed backwards from the direction of orbit it would slowly start to "sink" towards the earth due to lack of speed. To say that any object would react like those did though is ludicrous.

Although I have quoted you this is more aimed at others...

objecttrackscomptraceba.jpg

Since when did bubbles not go straight up? This is the most compelling evidence I have seen for them not being bubbles in water, and although I don't know the person who did the article it appears to be pretty objective and easy to copy. Bubbles in water go straight up, due to gravity, these on the other hand float from different locations at different angles, nothing like bubbles in water. Unless of course they were rotating the entire water tank during the filming...

huh? there have been loads of televised/filmed space walks from America/Russia in the last few years.

If you're saying thier faked you're going to have to explain how they fix/upgrade Hubble.

I read it as him taking the pee out of the amount of times NASA have grounded and delayed the shuttle in the last few years, not that anything was faked?

Associate
shouldnt there be stars in the background?

Because of course if China, the most populous and one of the most powerful countries in the world, were looking to fake it, they would definitely forget that there are stars in space.

I think you've got them there.

Soldato
It's a good job that satellites go at exactly the same speed as the Earth or else I wouldn't be able to pick up SKY, Astra, Hotbird or Thor.
It's called a geostationary orbit.

Anyway, 1000s upon 1000s of NASA professionals must have followed, tracked, watched and analysed this walk but some 15 year old cries FAKE.

Thats a satellite that needs to be geostationary though. AFAIK, this mission didn't need to be, so to get it exactly geostationary would be a hell of a coincidence..

Associate
I think the only reason people might call fake is because its China.

We all know they aren't above it.

I dont think we would be having this discussion if it was say...Japan.

Associate
Yes but all objects will be attracted equally, so the clips would not float towards the earth independently of the main ship. (Although this is obviously not enough proof on its own - could be down to the flexibility of the ropes or something)

The only thing that i find strange about the video is the position of the earth. I've never tried flying a space craft but i'd imagine that its quite difficult to get perfectly stable at the speed its going and surely even a few degrees of rotation would be noticeable because of the distance away from earth?
Even "fixed orbit" satellites are not perfectly stationary and "wobble" a bit iirc (may be wrong about this though)

Spacecraft are usually stabilised by gas jets or gyroscopes, satellites would be next to useless if they couldn't maintain a stable orbit! The nature of an orbit means it travels in either a circular or elliptical path (ignoring the pull of the sun and moon which are relatively minor), if it's a circular orbit and they're using gyros the relative position of earth wouldn't change.

I'm suprised how many people think it's fake, probably 50%+ of replies! Hell it got me for a couple of mins, if you look at the evidence critically though there's nothing to say this is a fake.

Associate
Surely the fact that is being "revealed" via video sites rather than an approved source within the scientific community is enough to discredit it.

Back
Top Bottom