Do Americans speak English?

Associate
What is used in England now would be unegnisable years ago and that was original English.

English is just a mix of loads of other languages, and a few newer ones. That's why so many sound French or German etc.

Our language is nothing new.

Don
Oh come on. It's pretty much identical except for some different spellings and a few different words. I've got no problem spelling in either the American or British form.

TBH some accents in the UK are nearly incomprehensible to me, I would have thought you'd question whether they spoke English; as you can easily understand nearly all American dialects yet the same really can't be said for England.

yarp

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A friend from the UK, who is at uni in the US, says she gets marked down in essays for spelling words the British way. I wouldn't have thought they'd have been that bothered about it.

I got points taken away when I was in the British school system all the time. aluminium in chemistry, center is english class etc. I adapted and was more careful so I dint lose those points.

Last edited:
Soldato
You might well be right but please don't expect me to take wikipedia's word for it.

Why? Do you think Wikipedia is actually inaccurate on the matter? It's been shown to have accuracy comparable to the Encyclopaedia Britannica. The argument that "anyone can edit it" is a pretty sloppy one, as the people who do edit articles generally know what they're talking about.

If you really distrust it that much then go and ask a linguist or something.

Last edited:
Caporegime
when in new york. I was asked where i was from. England was my reply. I was then posed with the question. ' Ah cool , you guys speak english over there ? ' o_0

You should have just stared at them and told them to think about what they just said.. Then mumbled something about the american stereotype being correct.;)

People who say "Hey" and "movie" should be boiled in oil tbh.

"movie" really gets my goat to. You don't look at a photo and say what a wonderful stilly do you?:rolleyes:

You are "watching a [piece of] film", multiple images put onto a piece of film that is moving.

Soldato
"movie" really gets my goat to. You don't look at a photo and say what a wonderful stilly do you?:rolleyes:

You are "watching a [piece of] film", multiple images put onto a piece of film that is moving.

Only if you're actually at a cinema. If you're watching it on TV or on a computer then you're not watching a film at all. In fact, you're not even watching a film if you're at the cinema; you're merely watching a projection of the images held by the film.

Don't try to rationalize every aspect of English because you will fail :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Only if you're actually at a cinema. If you're watching it on TV or on a computer then you're not watching a film at all. In fact, you're not even watching a film if you're at the cinema; you're merely watching a projection of the images held by the film.

Don't try to rationalize every aspect of English because you will fail :)

Hehe, true, but it's still closer than a movie...:p

Soldato
My portugese mate speaks with a slightly American accent. I hink he learned English by watching movies.

We might have invented it but sadly we are small but still I refuse to call our language "British English", we invented it, whatever we do is correct.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does not realy bother me generally, but one thing that really gets on my nerves is the date thing, firstlly, Americans write thier dates all messed up, as in 03/26/09, and even more annoying is that the british media seem to have adopted saying things like " it happened on july four" you meant the 4th of july you bunch of tards!!!!

Back
Top Bottom