Think I am gonna get a MBP soon- questions

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Hi,

Went into the electrical shop at Manchester Airport today and saw they were selling the MBP for £1,140. They said I can get it at that price eventhough I am not travelling outside the EU, and they will even let me pick it up on the way home!

I am thinking of just going for the base model (Best value?) and is this a better deal that the educational discount?

Thanks

Edit: Could a passing mod please chang the title to "Think I am gonna get a MBP soon- questions"

Thanks

Commissario
That's not a bad price, it's about twenty quid better than the HE price although it won't include the three years Applecare that you get from the HE store. You could always ask him to throw it in ;)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
I will also buy it on my Amex so bag £15 cashback- Billy bargain!

Is the base model the one to get- and is there anything else worth considering? (i.e. Windows based- eventhough I'll just install Linux on it)

Ta

Soldato
Apart from RAM and the hard drive, there isn't much difference between the other models. And both of those can be upgraded later if you felt the need to.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Ok so do I wait until June the ??th to see if a speedbump is announced or just go for it now? Generally are they likely to deliver the thing within a week or so?

Also if I buy using a student friend to get HE discount, is the warranty./ machine then in their name? does this cause issues?

Thanks

Associate
i recently said this in a different thread (dw it is relevant)

'I'm also about to buy a MBP, but rather than wait till after June 4th, i may get it as soon as i have the money (should be a couple of days)
i figured that at this conference they will give a release date of snow leopard (probably sept-oct) and may give their computer range a little speed bump.
i dont think such the long wait is worth it, i can always buy snow leopard once it comes out, and its pretty much guaranteed that apple arnt going to do anything drastic with their laptops considering the complete redesign at the start of the year.'

does that help you at all?

for your second question i think that the machine will not be in their name. i used my mom to get me the higher education discount (she works at a college) for my macbook. Apple didnt care who bought my laptop when i took it in for repairs. all they care about is that it was under warrenty.
hope that helps

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Ok cheeky question.... Can someone buy on an HE discount and use a credit card in someone else's name to make the purchase? Does this cause issues?

Thanks

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Suppose one were to buy a mbp as a student, applecare would then be under the student's name.... Can said student then easily transfer the name the applecare is in at a later date at all?

Soldato
Suppose one were to buy a mbp as a student, applecare would then be under the student's name.... Can said student then easily transfer the name the applecare is in at a later date at all?

After I sold my previous Mac on eBay, I called Apple to enquire about changing the name on AppleCare and they said AppleCare is tied to the Mac regardless of whoever owns the Mac.

Back
Top Bottom