Windows 7 hits RC stage Build 7100

Soldato
I can't get passed the active x java install - does anyone know what the name of this plug in is and where i could d/l it from rather than through the windows 7 RC download?

Ok, here are the direct download links but you must right click the link and save as or right click and copy and then paste into your download manager

x86

http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/d...m/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-rc-32/enus/

x64

http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/d...m/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-rc-64/enus/

***** Do not left click as it will redirect you to the W7 homepage! Do not highlight and copy'n'paste! *****

Once again, right click the link and save as or right click and copy and then paste into your download manager

:)

Soldato
I would be surprised if you can get Microsoft's downloader applet from anywhere but Microsoft tbh.

That's what i was worried about.

I may be stuffed as it seems to have stalled during it's install.

Edit: Thanks Timko i'll give that a try - those are quite explicit instructions and i doubt i'll misunderstand your text - appreciated:) (was it left click you said? ;) )

Last edited:
Soldato
You're a star Timko - it's d/ling as i type my thanks - at a respectable speed too.

Again, appreciated.

Plec

Soldato
Could someone post a direct link to the keys?

I jumped through some 'profile' verification hoops, but it was a dead end. :mad:

Associate
I've got 32bit and 64bit images on the way now, it's at times like this I almost wish I lived in a major city and could get more than a 5 Mbps connection :(.

I suppose the wait gives me time to decide how I'm going to install this time round. To triple boot or not to triple boot, that is the question.

Soldato
I've got both. Installed 64 bit on a second partition on my main rig (as below).

The 32 bit I installed on my old IBM thinkpad T41 (which I bought at uni some 4.5 years ago) - I think this is where W7 really excels. The laptop specs are only Pentium M 2.0ghz (Dothan, upgraded from 1.6Ghz Banias), 1GB PC2700 RAM (single channel), 40GB IDE 4200rpm IDE drive and 32MB ATi Mobility Radeon 7500. Surprisingly, the machine flies! OK, so I don't have Aero and Glass but that is only because driver support isn't there (and the card is so damn old and bad). It really is amazing as I find it faster than XP that it replaced. Result I say! Anyone apprehensive about doing the upgrade, don't be - it really does run well on old laptops (though my P-M 2.0Ghz Dothan is probably a fair bit more powerful than an Atom - something to bear in mind).

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to know as i was considering installing it on one of my aging Dell inspirons.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Soldato
Got it running on a PM 1.7ghz, 1GB of RAM and a 40GB drive, with a 6800LE and it runs admirably. There's a bit of churning when you've got more than a few things open, but that would be the case with XP, so instead I'll run W7 with all the aero effects enabled thankyou :)

Associate
Noob q: How do I burn to DVD and make it bootable? The last version I had seemed to work no problem but this one will not boot. I extracted all the files from the zip and burned all of those and closed the disc. Any ideas (save me trawling through 20+ pages)

thanks

Soldato
Noob q: How do I burn to DVD and make it bootable?

The links are for ISO files which are DVD images. Use your CD/DVD burning program to burn them. Sometimes Winrar or Winzip associates ISO files with their applications so if you double click the file it will open as an archive. This is wrong.

Look for something along the lines of burn/open image in your CD/DVD burning program and when it asks you for the file, locate the downloaded ISO file.

Associate
[timko];14013238 said:
The links are for ISO files which are DVD images. Use your CD/DVD burning program to burn them. Sometimes Winrar or Winzip associates ISO files with their applications so if you double click the file it will open as an archive. This is wrong.

Look for something along the lines of burn/open image in your CD/DVD burning program and when it asks you for the file, locate the downloaded ISO file.

cheers. actually i remember using something like isoburner last time.

Soldato
I think the lunch time rush has started - my d/l speed is practically in reverse now...

Quick question for those in the know:

I'm d/ling the 64 bit version purely because i have 4 gigs of memory. Even though i would lose 0.6 gig of memory using the 32 bit version - would i have less compatibilty issues than the 64 bit version and would the 32 bit version use less system resources and consequently be faster even though it would lose 0.6 of the total memory?

Or has windows 7 ironed out 64 bit compatibilty issues?

Last edited:
Associate
DLing now. are most people using this as there main system now? not sure if i'm goin to dual boot or just start fresh and use it full time?

Whats everyone think?

Soldato
DLing now. are most people using this as there main system now? not sure if i'm goin to dual boot or just start fresh and use it full time?

Whats everyone think?

I'm going to be dual-booting as i can guarantee that there's going to be one bit of software that I use or peripheral that wont respond properly.

Some people have had zero issues but i run my system through the 'sod's-law' principle.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to be dual-booting as i can guarantee that there's going to be one bit of software that I use or peripheral that wont respond properly.

Some people have had zero issues but i run my system through the 'sod's-law' principle.

You're as lucky as me then....! think i'll dual-boot too. I'm bound to have loads of problems.

Soldato
I think the lunch time rush has started - my d/l speed is practically in reverse now...

Quick question for those in the know:

I'm d/ling the 64 bit version purely because i have 4 gigs of memory. Even though i would lose 0.6 gig of memory using the 32 bit version - would i have less compatibilty issues than the 64 bit version and would the 32 bit version use less system resources and consequently be faster even though it would lose 0.6 of the total memory?

Or has windows 7 ironed out 64 bit compatibilty issues?

There are no 64 bit issues now really, unless your hardware is reaally old (we are talking 5-6 years). I've been using Windows Vista 64 bit for over a year and I have no issues with any of my hardware. The 64 bit OS should really be used now with a capable processor, plain and simple. It runs slightly faster IMO too.

Back
Top Bottom