i7 Spec Check

Soldato
Hi,

I've fallen a bit out of touch with the latest hardware but my old machine is in need of replacing so I'm gonna build an i7 rig.

Now I have a 600w PC Power & Cooling PSU which I'm hoping to use. I also have a 7900GTX graphics card that would last me for a little while longer if possible. I also have keyboard, monitor etc.

I would like something similar to what I curentlly have HDD wise, fast main drive for OS and apps and then a larger store possibly in RAID 1 for all my data.

I've put the following spec together. Is there anything that should be changed?

s3ljbs.jpg

Cheers

Soldato
go for the i7 stepping d0 processor, maybe swap the raptor for a solid state drive or get a couple of samsung 320gbs etc and run in raid.

cases are a matter of personal choice, bit expensive for my tastes but your money so long as you like it fair enough.

what you planning to use it for, gfx card may hold it back.

Soldato
OP
Duno, about a year maybe. Its the 610w currently listed on the site i think. Always found PC Power & Cooling PSUs very good so thought I'd keep it if possible!

Soldato
OP
go for the i7 stepping d0 processor, maybe swap the raptor for a solid state drive or get a couple of samsung 320gbs etc and run in raid.

cases are a matter of personal choice, bit expensive for my tastes but your money so long as you like it fair enough.

what you planning to use it for, gfx card may hold it back.

There will be some gaming but not a huge amount. WIll probably change GFX card in a couple of months aster I've paid for me holiday as well!! So am thinking it should hold out till the summer.

Other than that I'll be doing quite a lot of work on it which will probably involve a couple of databases and VMs.

Will defo swap for a D0 and give it a bit of an overclock. Possibly get back into watercooling later on.

Soldato
I agree that the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE) is better than the Noctua in shear cooling performance. a lot of the performance of the TRUE is affected by fan choice, personally, I went for two of these. That said, the TRUE does not come with a 2nd set of fan clips, so you will have to Macygyver it with elastic band/cable ties or search google for "thermalright holder".

Soldato
OP
Right cheers for all your help, not sure about the cooler. Probably go for the noctua. Just gotta read around on how to clock these! Used to have a vapochill and build watercooled rigs but not done much for a couple of years!

Back
Top Bottom